GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/47272-%5Bibc%5D-out-print-do-you-want-re-published.html)

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 01:42 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Okay . . . of the humongous number of bonsai books that are now
out of print, which would you all like to see re-published?

Dan Barton's "The Bonsai Book" would have been highest on my
list, but I found an old edition for under $50 the other day.

But for everyone else who does not have it, I'll keep it leading
my list. It is one of the classics and most useful of them all.
Another that would be high on my list (and that I do NOT have)
would be John Naka's "Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki"

Who knows, after we have a list put together maybe some
enterprising publisher(s) will buy the rights to one or more of
them.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Andy Rutledge 15-11-2003 02:12 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

I agree with you, Jim, that "The Bonsai Book," is a gem and classic - my
favorite. Highly useful and inspiring. Also, before anyone brings it up,
Nick Lenz's "Bonsai From the Wild" is already in reProduction. It will be a
while, but it's coming back.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Daniel Avrin 15-11-2003 02:42 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Dorothy S. Young's Bonsai:The Art and Technique is useful and nearly
impossible to find. I finally coughed up (after nearly choking) $100.00 for this book
as it was one of the very few "major" bonsai books I didn't already own.

Best Regards,
Dan Avrin
You're the prettiest thing I ever did see; Really love your peaches, want to
shake your tree. ;-)

Bill Neff 15-11-2003 03:02 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

How about Peter Adam's book on Japanese Maples?

Glad to hear that Nick Lenz's book is being reproduced too.

Bill Neff
Topeka, KS

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 03:12 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Dorothy S. Young's Bonsai:The Art and Technique is useful and
nearly
impossible to find. I finally coughed up (after nearly

choking) $100.00 for this book
as it was one of the very few "major" bonsai books I didn't

already own.

Yes. This would be on my list, too. Don't think I'd fork out
that much for it . . . but I might.

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 03:12 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

I have 3 of Naka's books. I keep going back to them again and
again. The other is the Murata books that I can't find in the
house right now. They are so out of print that Amazon doesn't
list them.

But Bonsai Techniques I and II aren't really out of print, are
they? I see them everywhere. What's your third one?

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 03:12 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

How about Peter Adam's book on Japanese Maples?

That's a good one. It went out of print so quickly, I never even
got to look at it. His "The Art of Bonsai" is another that might
be reprintable.

[email protected] 15-11-2003 03:12 AM

On 14 Nov 2003 17:08:05 -0800, (Jim Lewis) wrote:

Okay . . . of the humongous number of bonsai books that are now
out of print, which would you all like to see re-published?

Dan Barton's "The Bonsai Book" would have been highest on my
list, but I found an old edition for under $50 the other day.

But for everyone else who does not have it, I'll keep it leading
my list. It is one of the classics and most useful of them all.
Another that would be high on my list (and that I do NOT have)
would be John Naka's "Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki"

Who knows, after we have a list put together maybe some
enterprising publisher(s) will buy the rights to one or more of
them.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - The phrase

************************************************* *******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
************************************************* *******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

For all my earlier books, I buy from
www.alibris.com and they've never
disappointed me. You should be able to find 90% the out of print
books you want there.

T. Jones, heart of flatland country, IL

MartyWeiser 15-11-2003 03:42 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

I would like to see Peter Adams' various 'Bonsai Design' and 'Art of Bonsai'
books republished since feel that they do an excellent job of conveying both
artistic concepts and the work over a period of years to bring out what the
artist sees in the trees. Optimally, all of the books would be done in one
or two volumes - a bit more costly to buy, but probably less expensive for
the publisher to do.

Marty - Spokane WA

Billy M. Rhodes 15-11-2003 03:42 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

In a message dated 11/14/2003 8:08:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Dan Barton's "The Bonsai Book" would have been highest on my
list, but I found an old edition for under $50 the other day.

I have this one, signed by the author. An old friend passed away and left
me the book. I got Dan to sign it on a Florida tour.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

David J. Bockman 15-11-2003 04:02 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

If I recall our conversations correctly, Peter didn't see much $ for having
that book printed. 'Bonsai Design: Japanese Maples' was only one of the
three design books he wrote. 'Bonsai Design: Scots Pine-Common
Juniper-Japanese Larch' was the first, privately printed in what I can only
presume was very small numbers. 'Bonsai Design: Japanese Maples' was the
second, and 'Bonsai Design: Deciduous and Coniferous Trees' was the third.
ALL are outstanding, all are OOP and becoming quite difficult to find. I
would love to see 'The Art of Bonsai' updated and rereleased.

Bill Valavanis wrote one on Japanese White Pine that I have never seen but
would love to get my hands on.

The other dream would be to have all ten volumes of 'Photos of Now Famous
Bonsai', which were printed in Japan but also contained english 'subtitles'
to the photographic plates.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com

Sean Hayes 15-11-2003 11:42 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Of course what we really want is Dan's NEW book which he has been saying is
coming for a couple of years now. Apparently it will be a lot more about
design lke Andy's web book.

You can often pick up a copy of the old one on amazon for a reasonable
price.

****

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 02:42 PM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Optimally, all of the books would be done in one
or two volumes - a bit more costly to buy, but probably less
expensive for
the publisher to do.

Goodness! What a great idea. That way, you'd only need one set
of intro, how-to-do-a-bonsai chapters which everyone seems
obligated to put into their books.

"A Peter Adams Anthology". YES!

Jim Lewis 15-11-2003 03:02 PM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

For all my earlier books, I buy from www.alibris.com and
they've never
disappointed me. You should be able to find 90% the out of

print
books you want there.

T. Jones, heart of flatland country, IL

1. Please snip extraneous material out of your replies. Thanks!

2. Not all of them -- at least not affordably. Barton's book
usually goes for near $100, and Dorothy Young's has -- thus
far -- been all but unobtainable. Naka's exists in too few
original copies to ever appear on a bookstore's inventory.

The idea here is to make some of these classics available to
all -- at a reasonable price, especially to newcomers to the
sport who don't know them.

Robert Moore 16-11-2003 01:02 AM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.
Probably what could be done is to secure the rights and
reproduce things as pdf files - the production costs are much, much
less. But then they wouldn't be those beautiful, interesting, useful
objects I love so much.
The only answer, I suspect is to have bonsai ( and bonsai
book buying) become much more popular, so that the projected number
of sales entices a publisher into taking something on. I'd love to
hear of a way of doing it, otherwise. All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

Jim Lewis 16-11-2003 02:42 PM

[...]

Well, all that is true -- unfortunately -- but one or two
publishers (Sterling comes to mind in the USA) seem to think that
there is SOME money to be made in bonsai books (mostly --
unfortunately --copy-cat beginner's books that all go over the
same information with more or less the same quility and amount of
detail). There _could_ be an incentive for these publishers to
re-print (then keep in print [or available on disk -- something
like a print-on-demand scheme]) a few books that are actually
GOOD. In the age of computers, there is less hassle in keeping
the page layouts, etc. around than there used to be with large
paste-ups, and bulky plates. You could keep most of these books
we've been talkng about stored on a single CD.

And yes, I eagerly await a look at Dan Barton's "new" book.

Craig Cowing 16-11-2003 03:12 PM

Robert Moore wrote:

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.

snip

All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

I had a friend in Maine who had a small publishing company, and he used to say that
the first book cost $10,000, the rest were free--implying of course, that the
greatest expense is in the setup. Then you're left with the problem of selling the
books to recover the cost.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Craig Cowing 16-11-2003 03:12 PM

Andy Rutledge wrote:

I agree with you, Jim, that "The Bonsai Book," is a gem and classic - my
favorite. Highly useful and inspiring. Also, before anyone brings it up,
Nick Lenz's "Bonsai From the Wild" is already in reProduction. It will be a
while, but it's coming back.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Bart Thomas 16-11-2003 05:12 PM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

----- Original Message ----- I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I
agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition

of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

That seems to be the plan. When is another matter. He was still looking for
(more) photos last month.

That's one reason why I am not jumping to cash in on the high prices that
the first edition is bringing on eBay (Last seen $114).

Pedro Amorim Pereira 16-11-2003 07:42 PM

[IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Greetings,

I have been following this with much interest.
I really don't know if this has some interest to you, but... around
Portugal, generally, an expensive book it's a book that stays in the
bookshelf, in the library! Lets say that in 100 books you would only sell
about 5 or 6!
It has been a problem around here... of course those who are really
interested would buy... but a sell out it's better than a 5er sell! :-)
Just for an idea, one that was a success around here, and it was kind'a
"expensive", was:
The Bonsai Handbook from: David Prescott and consulting Colin Lewis
Sold at about 23 euros (more or less 23 US Dollars)

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/
http://www.geocities.com/pedropereira.geo

Craig Cowing 16-11-2003 09:02 PM

Bart Thomas wrote:

----- Original Message ----- I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I
agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition

of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

That seems to be the plan. When is another matter. He was still looking for
(more) photos last month.

Any time frame on this? Two, five years?

That's one reason why I am not jumping to cash in on the high prices that
the first edition is bringing on eBay (Last seen $114).

Well, what I might do is hold on to mine until the new one is about to come
out, and sell then!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37