Old 01-12-2003, 09:02 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] bonsai wood carving gloves

Folks,
I was at our local "Safety Store" the other day and got some great #5 welding gogles for looking at kiln firing cones ( finally I can see them) .
While I was there I got looking at Kevlar and other gloves for carving protection. That left hand is always vulnerable while power wood carving and has been knicked in more than one instance. The owner recommended the stainless steel thread gloves ( reeee
eally fine wire covered with synthetic yarn) over the Kevlar and says most butchers and wood carvers around here use them. Dexterity was pretty darn good. Sold as ambidextrous single gloves about $8.95.
I got one.
I also bought a pair of Kevlar to try. They are much cheaper at about $4.00 for a PAIR ( even though both gloves are ambidextrous), thinner and even better dexterity. You can get the Kevlar with or without the tiny neoprene (?) "sticky dots" all over them
which come on a coarser weaved glove.. Although they grip like an octopus I think they lose some dexterity.
I seem to remember seeing Ernie using some Kevlar gloves somewhere. If so, How do you like them Ernie?
I was bothered by a safety note on the stainless steel cloth gloves warning against using with "Moving or toothed cutters".....
Oh Heck! They weren't talking to me! :)
I rationalized that the cutters I use aren't really "Toothed" so would probably not snag on them or the Kevlar knit.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Dale,
Let us know how the gloves work. This would be a very nice safety feature.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 01-12-2003, 11:14 PM
dalecochoy

Let us know how the gloves work. This would be a very nice safety feature.
Jerry Meislik

Jerry,
I think I'll need to shove my hand into a working cutter before I can let
you know!!
Ha!
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-12-2003, 11:14 PM
dalecochoy

Old 02-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Michael Persiano

Friends:

I am not an advocate of wearing gloves while using high-speed carving tools.
Even if the cutter does not have teeth, the exceedingly high spinning
attachments can easily connect with a glove and draw your hand or fingers into the
cutting/spinning mechanism. The result can be quite painful and damaging.

Beyond the potential for injury that results from wearing gloves, I find that
I simply lose the connection between myself and the tree. I need to feel the
action of the carving tool to create the desired effect. Gloves seem to
construct a barrier for me in this sense.

Regardless, gloves will not eliminate the potential for injury. My
recommendation is that you ALWAYS use a power pedal to control the speed of the tool.
If something happens, one can readily stop the power tool. You will find that
virtually all power tools will work via a universal power pedal. Such a pedal
can be ordered from Dale and numerous manufacturers.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Jerry Meislik

So what's the result?
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
ted kell

As a "sometimes" wood butcher, I have been saved on numerous occasions by
these kind of things. The stainless steel/kevlar yarn works very nicely
as long as you do not put the point of your knife or small gouge through the
weave. One small tip tho, These gloves are also sold in fishing gear shops
as fish cleaning gloves. there was a substantial difference in the price
at the time.

Ted the plant killer

In article 026301c3b84b$eabfc440$0430fea9@dalespc,
dalecochoy wrote:
[...]

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
dalecochoy

Old 02-12-2003, 07:02 PM
dalecochoy

Thanks for the note Mike,

First let me ask, have you ever got a carving tool caught in a glove? I'm
wondering if you actually had this experience.?

Second, I wasn't praising their use, telling people it was the new "to
do" thing, or even recommending it, I was just noting that I thought I'd
give it a try and see, and wondered if others had experience.
Again, I'M NOT RECOMMENDING IT, JUST THOUGHT I'D GIVE IT A TRY!
I know I'm going to be sorry I even mentioned it. I shoulda just got the
gloves and used them quietly :)

I think you may have misunderstood the comment about ONE GLOVE. It goes of
the LEFT hand ( If you are right handed) so you are not controlling the tool
with a gloved hand. The tool is held in the ungloved hand. I ALWAYS
recommend to beginner carvers to have a "Link" between both hands, even if
touching one with your pinky, control goes WAY UP versus either holding the
tool with both hands( poor control) or one hand on tool and one ( gloved)
hand on the work but no contact between the two.
I do LOTS of carving and thouight about the snag issue before I purchased. I
finally decided that most things I use won't have that "snagability".
Perhaps I'm wrong, I shall experiment.
As for the peddles ala Foredoms peddle, I DON'T sell them ( I don't sell
Foredoms) and rarely use my own. When I first got it I installed a few
hangers around the overhead on my deck where I do most of my work. I just
don't like moving it around or having it hang there. I just prefer the die
grinder, each to his own. I know several people who prefer Foredom-like
carvers, but , have you ever seen one used in a convention workshop?? I
haven't. "Portability" causes my money to go to the die grinder over
Foredom. But, if you want TWO carving setups or stations, one at home and
one on-the-go and can leave your foredom setup where you usually work, then
you might want to go that way.
I can recommend getting a router bit speed control which your die grinder
just plugs into and speed is set with a knob. They are about $40ish dollars
at a good hardware store that sells power tools. But, again, I rarely use
it. Most of the serious carving tools , such as "Samurai" lose a lot of
effectiveness if speeds are too low. Fine-tune carving can be done with
burrs or Dremel-type carvers which have variable speeds also.
I REALLY recommend the DeWAlt carver over the Makita. It has that great
dead-man switch, a great shape with "sticky" snout and is a better quality
built machine, but, costs about $50ish more dollars. I sell both, I own a
Makita ( For YEEEAARRS) . If it burns up I'll either get the Heavy Duty
Makita w/ metal case or the DeWalt to Replace it.

Regards,
Dale

Old 02-12-2003, 07:02 PM
dalecochoy

Ted,
Thanks,
Yes, I forgot to mention they are not "Pick Proof", a sharp point goes
through, but knife blades won't cut through. Very important "point" eh?! :)
Dale

OT pumpkin carving online Ka30P Ponds 5 01-11-2004 03:47 PM
[IBC] Carving slate (muck) lynette g smith Bonsai 2 19-12-2003 03:33 PM
[IBC] Carving slate Andy Rutledge Bonsai 12 17-12-2003 09:07 PM
Carving slate Allen Bonsai 0 16-12-2003 10:32 PM