GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Potting American Boxwood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/48981-%5Bibc%5D-potting-american-boxwood.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 21-12-2003 07:22 PM

[IBC] Potting American Boxwood

I am coastal Central Florida. What is the opinion of the group? Should I
wait to repot until late Feb. when most danger of frost has passed or repot now?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Bonsai Societies of Florida Annual Convention Memorial Day Weekend 2004
Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral, Florida www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Shelly Hurd 22-12-2003 04:42 PM

[IBC] Potting American Boxwood

Hi Billy,
I don't see a bunch of replies here so I'll give you my .02.

All my larger buxus are japonica, but I always wait until any period of frost is past before I repot. That could be -and usually is- Mid-January here. A single frost has never hurt them, but prolonged periods (like daily for a week or so) would worry me.
After I reduce one (from an 8 inch deep root ball to a 3.5 to 4 inch root ball for example) I cover the top of the pot with something if I think there is going to be frost soon after I've potted. As you know, these plants are tough.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

I am coastal Central Florida. What is the opinion of the group? Should I
wait to repot until late Feb. when most danger of frost has passed or repot now?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++