Old 22-12-2003, 12:33 AM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found)

I was in Ashland, Oregon yesterday, and found myself visiting the Japanese
Garden section of Lithia Park. I originally intended to attempt to find
some mulberry berries there, but that was further up the park. I thought,
"well, as unlikely as it is, I will look for ginkgo fruit, as there are
several female trees here". After looking for a few minutes and seeing
none, I finally saw one (and as when hunting for morels), the eye and mind
suddenly knows what to look for. Someone had been raking up the leaves, and
I searched a little through the leaves and found a couple more. All in all
I found perhaps six, some already were just the nuts, the pulp having been
removed one way or another. Yes....a man can be told there are a billion
billion stars in the sky and believe it, but tell him "wet paint" he has to
put a finger on it to check it out. Sure enough, I decided I had to "take a
whiff", and sure enough, yes indeed, true to the reports, I found the fruit
pulp smelled....well, to me like very sour dog droppings. :-D I handled the
fruit gingerly, as I recalled reading that the pulp also contains skin
irritants. I am not sure if I am not very sensitive to them, or perhaps
cold or decay had already began to break these chemicals down, but I had no
noticeable reaction. Walking along I was actually glad to find an
improperly disposed of sandwich bag, which was just the right size. Now I
need to review notes about propagation, I don't know about elsewhere, but
the ginkgo I have grows imperceptibly slowly. Might never be bonsai, but I
am going to have some fun.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work — and
yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo

HI
well I normally wash the shell very well stratify into sand and
plant into soil in early spring
I just give a very light blow with a hammer on the pointed part to
break the shell before seeding.
They are supposed to germinate within 2 years
those (4)I collected 3 years ago germinate all few months laterand
are stull alive .. you need to keep them one year in the soil where were
born and repot the following year in the container or ground for growing
Theo

Old 22-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Might never be bonsai, but I
am going to have some fun.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

I have a ginkgo I grew from seed; it is now about 12 years old and is distinctly heading towards bonsai-dom.

Nina.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Nina Shishkoff wrote:
I have a ginkgo I grew from seed; it is now about 12
years old and is distinctly heading towards
bonsai-dom.

Nina.

I have been using the grow and chop method on much of
my bonsai stock. (actually ignore and restore) I had
a small leafed ginkgo cutting that took off in a 1
gallon pot. It was about 1.5 in in diameter with good
nebari. I cut it back to just above the last living
bud. I now have a lovely little shohin. Did a lot of
pinching to make the thing "fluffy".

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I have been using the grow and chop method on much of
my bonsai stock. (actually ignore and restore)

Hee- I like that. For ginkgos, I actually think clip and grow is the way to go: they don't wire well, you tend to want to keep them in clump style anyway, and you want to style *as* the tree grows, because ginkgos don't heal well with big cuts, but removi
ng the apical meristem leaves no scar at all. The only problem with my ginkgo-from-seed is that it has huge floppy leaves; it only looks reasonable in early spring as the leaves are unfurling. I have a cultivar with small leaves that is more convincing
for the rest of the year.

Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ginkgo seeds found - update 2 sam crowell Bonsai 0 28-05-2004 11:04 PM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) - update sam crowell Bonsai 3 27-05-2004 02:07 AM
Monstro's Big Adventure Michael Lee Ponds 6 26-04-2004 08:02 AM
duckweed adventure John Rutz Ponds 7 13-07-2003 04:08 PM
Pond building adventure ~ jan Ponds 1 25-01-2003 08:55 PM