GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Pomegranate air layer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/49516-%5Bibc%5D-pomegranate-air-layer.html)

Jim Lewis 01-01-2004 08:02 PM

[IBC] Pomegranate air layer

I have a tall, gawky, scarred Pomegranate (supposedly a nana from
a workshop, but I have my doubts). I'd like to air layer, as the
top 8-inches of the trunk and the top are much more attractive.

My question: If I do air layer this spring, can I expect
sprouting from the bare trunk that's left over? It is a
three-trunk tree, with the tall one being very dominant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 01-01-2004 09:44 PM

[IBC] Pomegranate air layer

I haven't layered a P. granatum nana but the full sized
P.granatum has
sprouted like crazy every time I layer it. I doubt that the

smaller
variety would respond any different.

Then, by golly, I think I'll do it!

Thanks, Kevin. Thanks, Billy

Billy M. Rhodes 01-01-2004 09:45 PM

[IBC] Pomegranate air layer

In a message dated 1/1/2004 2:31:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

If I do air layer this spring, can I expect sprouting from the bare trunk
that's left over?

I would say the chances as some where between maybe and probably. I have a
number of "nana" grown from seed and they back bud well.

Billy

kevin bailey 01-01-2004 09:45 PM

[IBC] Pomegranate air layer

I haven't layered a P. granatum nana but the full sized P.granatum has
sprouted like crazy every time I layer it. I doubt that the smaller
variety would respond any different.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I have a tall, gawky, scarred Pomegranate (supposedly a nana from
a workshop, but I have my doubts). I'd like to air layer, as the
top 8-inches of the trunk and the top are much more attractive.

My question: If I do air layer this spring, can I expect
sprouting from the bare trunk that's left over? It is a
three-trunk tree, with the tall one being very dominant.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

wsallen 03-01-2004 02:12 PM

[IBC] Pomegranate air layer

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message ...
I have a tall, gawky, scarred Pomegranate (supposedly a nana from
a workshop, but I have my doubts). I'd like to air layer, as the
top 8-inches of the trunk and the top are much more attractive.

My question: If I do air layer this spring, can I expect
sprouting from the bare trunk that's left over? It is a
three-trunk tree, with the tall one being very dominant.

Yes it will sprout again, prolifically. Especially in your climate in
Florida (which I assume is warm and does not see snow or seriously cold
weather).

One of my cuttings missed its water 2 weeks ago. It was pretty thin (pencil
thick) and short, with all branches being really thin. All the leaves turned
brown and the branches all died. Now (2-2.5 weeks later) it has 10cm long
bright green shoots and looking lovely. Thank ghod! :+)

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie