Old 01-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] A successful Branch Repair

About three months ago I was pruning an Ilex vomitoria "Schillings" and a
branch broke. I took some raffia, soaked it in warm water and worked it flat.
Then I wrapped the branch with two layers of raffia.
Today I took the raffia off and the branch has healed.
It is only about 1/4 to 3/8 diameter and broke about 1/2 way through.
Billy

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim Lewis

About three months ago I was pruning an Ilex vomitoria
"Schillings" and a
branch broke. I took some raffia, soaked it in warm water and

worked it flat.
Then I wrapped the branch with two layers of raffia.
Today I took the raffia off and the branch has healed.
It is only about 1/4 to 3/8 diameter and broke about 1/2 way

through.
Billy

Not healed. Not really. What you have is a VERY thin layer of
cambium and bark that has grown over the break. The break is
still there and *always* will be, though the mend will slowly
grow thicker and thicker -- maybe too thick.

A broken branch doesn't "heal" like a broken arm.

Billy, I know YOU knew this, but I'm certain there were others
here who didn't and might have assumed wrong with the word
"heal."

Repair is a better word -- and you used it in the subject. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Iris Cohen

About three months ago I was pruning an Ilex vomitoria "Schillings" and a
branch broke. I took some raffia, soaked it in warm water and worked it flat.
Then I wrapped the branch with two layers of raffia. Today I took the raffia
off and the branch has healed.

You can also use cut paste and florist's tape. However, don't forget that a
tree doesn't heal inside like a broken bone. The heartwood will be broken
forever. The only part that heals is the cambium, and whatever wood is made
subsequently. That branch will always be weak, & if you ever have to wire it
you must be extra careful. I can't tell you how many times I have saved a
cracked branch, only to have it get knocked off a year later from a slight
bump.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Marty Haber

In addition, I apply a heavy wire parallel to the branch under the
spiralled wiring as a splint. After removing the spiralled wire, I leave
the splint on the branch, held on with waterproof tape.
Marty
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Jerry Meislik

Iris,
Great point. I too have "saved the branch" only to knock it off two years
later.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Pedro A.Pereira

Greetings

Great point. I too have "saved the branch" only to knock it off two years
later.

I generally use "white glue" (I think you call it Elmer's (!)) inside of the
branch, before I place the tape...

.... once I have made a small hole with a drill and placed some copper wire
glued for extra resistance.

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/
http://www.geocities.com/pedropereira.geo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Great point. I too have "saved the branch" only to knock it

off two years
later.

I generally use "white glue" (I think you call it Elmer's (!))

inside of the
branch, before I place the tape...

... once I have made a small hole with a drill and placed some

copper wire
glued for extra resistance.

White glue dissolves in water -- though slowly after it has
dried. I use model airplane cement or (lately) a tiny drop of
"Gorilla Glue."

About 4 years ago, I even used model airplane cement to hold a
small (11-inch) Phoenix graft in place. No sign of problems yet.