Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle

After coming home from Alaska, I found that hubby neglected to
water any of my trees. All
of them were ok except for the Crape Myrtle which was severely
dehydrated. I watered it.
Drained it. And stuck it in a plastic bag with no parts of the
plastic sack touching the
plant. I also removed all the leaves that were dried up. It's
making a slow come-back..
some new leaves on a branch but it's also developing some with
hairy mold on some of the
branches. Should I poke some holes in the plastic or cut
affected sections back?

I've found crape myrtles to be resilient buggers :-) In the Savannah heat,
they got forgotten a couple times and came back with TLC. I put them out of
too intense sun, and did not have them wrapped in plastic. You may be
cooking them, dunno.

Good luck

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

I don't remember where Kate lives but I still feel that the plastic bag
therapy can cause more harm rather than repair.
How long have you had the Crape Myrtle. Mine this time of year are leafless,
even the dwarf varieties in training pots.
I think I would leave it along. Be careful of overwatering while it is
leafless.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Jim Lewis

It's making a slow come-back..
some new leaves on a branch but it's also developing some with

hairy mold on some of the
branches. Should I poke some holes in the plastic or cut

affected sections back? Any
help appreciated.

Get it out of the bag! If it has leaves, it's OK. Treat it like
any deciduous tree in your climate. CM can take temps a lot
lower than the books claim, but keep it in a protected space if
the leaves are new.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Helena Handbasket

Sorry, I keep forgetting to add my zone in my posts. I'm in 6b but I've brought it into
the house in an unheated room. It stays pretty cold in there and I used it last year,
I've had it in training for two years from a bare root stock and it came out just fine
after last winter. I've got it back out of the bag and I'll try to not fret over it.
Thanks all.

--

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·.¤*katie**¤.·´¨`»

I don't remember where Kate lives but I still feel that the plastic bag
therapy can cause more harm rather than repair.
How long have you had the Crape Myrtle. Mine this time of year are leafless,
even the dwarf varieties in training pots.
I think I would leave it along. Be careful of overwatering while it is
leafless.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-01-2004 12:02 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM