GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Bucida spinosa (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/49707-%5Bibc%5D-bucida-spinosa.html)

Nina Shishkoff 05-01-2004 02:02 PM

[IBC] Bucida spinosa

Somebody wrote to me asking about a Bucida brought in for winter which then dropped its leaves. It sounds like the normal response to being brought indoors, but I have no experience with Bucida. Anyone want to comment?

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Corcoran. Bil 05-01-2004 02:42 PM

[IBC] Bucida spinosa

Nina:

I keep my budica "mostly" indoors but it does go outside from about July
to Sept. Mine has been fine as far as moving from outdoors to indoors
BUT I have seen mine drop every leaf for no reason, and come close to
dropping every leaf a few times. Each time I was ready to bury it and
it sprouted all new leaves. I think they just do that normally or as a
response to something I can't figure out. It took a while so tell them
to back off with watering a little and just wait it out.

wmcorcor

== Somebody wrote to me asking about a Bucida brought in for winter
which
== then dropped its leaves. It sounds like the normal response to
being
== brought indoors, but I have no experience with Bucida. Anyone want
== comment?
==
== -Nina
==
==
== ********
== ++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas Godoy ++++
==
== ********
== -- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
==
== +++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

Carl L Rosner 05-01-2004 05:05 PM

[IBC] Bucida spinosa

Nina and all:
When I obtained my Bucida spinosa, (it came from South Carolina) back in
September 2000, I placed it in my Green House and within two months did
not have a green leaf on it. The leaves turned a tan color and then
dropped off. I attributed it to the fact that it was coming from the
bright light of SC and I believe I was right. There were no pests or
fungus that I could see.

New leaves developed within the month and though it took over a year to
adapt to the lighting here in NJ, by dropping leaves a few more times
(in my green House) the tree is doing remarkably well. I do not over
water it, but I definitely stay on the side of caution never letting it
dry out as I do with Ficus. My only complaint about this tree is the
constant cleaning of the surrounding area picking up all those blasted
small leaves! :-D

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Claud Spinks 05-01-2004 05:32 PM

Bucida spinosa

I lurk here and saw this subject earlier, than it hit me...I have one of
these. I keep it outdoors (just south of Atlanta) from May to October
and in the greenhouse during the colder months. When I move it into the
greenhouse each fall, it drops almost all the leaves. They start to grow
back about a month later.
Claud

Jim Lewis 05-01-2004 09:02 PM

[IBC] Bucida spinosa

I lurk here and saw this subject earlier, than it hit me...I
have one of
these. I keep it outdoors (just south of Atlanta) from May to

October
and in the greenhouse during the colder months. When I move it

into the
greenhouse each fall, it drops almost all the leaves. They

start to grow
back about a month later.
Claud

Thanks for un-lurking, Claud. You need to do it again some time.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

Claud Spinks 05-01-2004 11:33 PM

[IBC] Bucida spinosa

Thanks for un-lurking, Claud. You need to do it again some time.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

My knowledge is much more limited than many others here. Every once in a
while I will help when I can. I maintain a few trees in memory of
Brother Paul. Have not worked much on adding new trees. However, I am
beginning to have a little more time on my hands. Will probably get a
little more involved.
Claud