Old 12-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] FW: [IBC] good quote (non-bonsai, but related)

From Craig Cowing:
Today I emailed the president of the local arts society to see if they
would be interested in my doing an exhibit of viewing stones. She
responded that she would, and added this comment that I thought could go
into the hopper in the ongoing art debate on the list. This is in
reference to stones, but could easily apply to bonsai as well:

"They are art from the soul. Creation and seeing images in nature is
what I call a close encounter with God, and only a artist's eye knows
that."

What I hear Dani saying is that art is not just the crafting of an
object, but having the eye to see art in natural forms.

----------------------

Craig,
It is a poetic way to say it and pleases us.

I am not sure it upholds the Creative aspect. Although we don't
"craft" the result of what the eye presented to the brain in suiseki or the
viewing stone we Still Create - through "imagination" as we develop over
time a platform for an art form by creating categories of description,
conventions, and particularly as in bonsai and suiseki a Metaphoric basis!
This establishes meaning and causes a response from stored experience we
have created. It is certainly a very transcending kind of art form that
some people find difficult because of the direct use of a nature's forms as
medium, often making no change in it, as in suiseki.
Also, such an art is developed by a community of artists, as your
congregation develops into a community of belief by confirming one
another's vision, we uphold one another's selection of stones, (or don't
I think both communities are interesting because of the fact that it is
social creation, then social evolution. We tend to always think of the
artist in a singular position, as we would in painting, sculpting, music,
but to a great extent in bonsai and suiseki it seems to me the artist is
really "embedded" in these particular arts because the "form" is directly
from nature. More than bonsai I think the stone arts are without crafting,
except for a daiza or stand, and dependent upon the imagination, or a
personal projection of substance.
Your offer to exhibit is really sharing something interesting and a
graceful offer. Let us hear the results, please!

Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++