Old 14-01-2004, 01:42 AM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] Now collectors are egotistical??

Collectors collect nice things because of ego (they want to be
seen by people to whom they show the collection as a person who
has good taste)

This is one of the more condescending things I've seen you post Jim. No
doubt there are rare collectors of fine art who use their collections as
manifestations of their ego; I've never met one though. Most collectors I
know either collect fine art because they like the genre or specific artist,
or as monetary investments.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Jim Lewis

Collectors collect nice things because of ego (they want to
be
seen by people to whom they show the collection as a person

who
has good taste)

This is one of the more condescending things I've seen you post

Jim. No
doubt there are rare collectors of fine art who use their

collections as
manifestations of their ego; I've never met one though. Most

collectors I
know either collect fine art because they like the genre or

specific artist,
or as monetary investments.

Oh, phoo! You've met 'em. Few of us admit it, but ego DOES
enter into it. Always.

I collect old (1500s) maps, old (pre-1900) netsuke, old-ish
Oriental ivory, old (pre-1700s) books on biology and marine life,
travel and voyages, I love them for themselves, for their
historical interest, for their artistic qualities (when present),
AND I like to show them off. A collector who doesn't want to
show off his collection isn't a COLLECTOR -- he's an investor,
and probably keeps everything locked in vaults somewhere.

Ergo, ego. ;-)

Even (now THAT's condescending!) matchbook-cover collectors like
to brag about how many they have, or the rarities they have. (I
have a stamp collection somewhere; I use to brag that it was
(is) complete from U.S. #4 to whatever date it was that I stopped
1980-something) minus the upside-down rarities. That was ego,
too.

We all have it (some saints, excluded, I suppose -- but Heaven
knows St. Joan was overflowing with hubris.)

In one way or another, ego factors in to (I'd guess) well over
half of what people do -- work or play.)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield