GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Berberis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/50330-%5Bibc%5D-berberis.html)

Jim Lewis 15-01-2004 05:39 PM

[IBC] Berberis

Forest Farm (www.forestfarm.com) carries B. thunbergii
'Thornless' which is, they say, just that -- no thorns. It has
green leaves and, the catalog says, a "nice red fall color."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Kitsune Miko 15-01-2004 05:40 PM

[IBC] Berberis

--- Jim Lewis wrote:
Forest Farm (www.forestfarm.com) carries B.
thunbergii
'Thornless' which is, they say, just that -- no
thorns. It has
green leaves and, the catalog says, a "nice red fall
color."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Nature
encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph
Waldo Emerson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark
Zimmerman++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Kitsune Miko 15-01-2004 05:40 PM

[IBC] Berberis

First an appology for resending a message without
adding anything. My fingers are having trouble
hitting the right keys.

OK, I have a nice red leafed berberis, (lostaggi x
nonameana) It has wonderful nebari and I wanted to do
a shohin. Problem: It grows too fast and looses its
shape weekly. Anyone else have this problem? do the
work better on a larger scale? I mean branches in the
right place and everything.

Kitsune Miko

Nina Shishkoff 15-01-2004 06:34 PM

[IBC] Berberis

OK, I have a nice red leafed berberis, (lostaggi x
nonameana) It has wonderful nebari and I wanted to do
a shohin. Problem: It grows too fast and looses its
shape weekly. Anyone else have this problem? do the
work better on a larger scale?

Mine are Shohin. Yeah, they need constant attention, but not *weekly*. The new growth is bright and thin, and easy to see and trim.

-Nina

Michael Persiano 15-01-2004 07:10 PM

[IBC] Berberis

In a message dated 1/15/2004 12:23:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

OK, I have a nice red leafed berberis, (lostaggi x
nonameana) It has wonderful nebari and I wanted to do
a shohin. Problem: It grows too fast and looses its
shape weekly. Anyone else have this problem? do the
work better on a larger scale?

Mine are Shohin. Yeah, they need constant attention, but not *weekly*. The new growth is bright and thin, and easy to
see and trim.

As Barberry growth matures, it will hold its position.

As for the thorns, they can be pinched without doing any harm to the bark--a necessary step in the wiring process.

Consider Crimson Pygmy--it is a great specimen for bonsai culture if you can get past the thorns.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html