GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Climate zones in general (was: New USDA map) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/50449-%5Bibc%5D-climate-zones-general-new-usda-map.html)

Jim Lewis 17-01-2004 10:42 PM

[IBC] Climate zones in general (was: New USDA map)

I'm afraid you have misunderstood the USDA standards for the
climate zones. The
climate zone records the AVERAGE winter low temperature. If the

lowest
temperature one year is -20 and the lowest temperature the next

year is zero,
you have an average minimum temperature of -10.

And, of course, there are quite a few more than 2 years from
which to work out the average, so it is fairly accurate.

We who live south of the Mason-Dixon line (USA), of course, wish
plant people would adopt the American Horticultural Society's
Heat Zone index. It is MUCH more important to us. I've seen it
used in a couple of (non-bonsai) books, but the nurseries have
yet to adopt it.

A good alternative would be the Sunset zones, which are based on
a number of factors. I do question, however, how valid those
zones are outside of the 10 western states that are Sunset's home
turf.

I was doing a Google for climate zones the other day and found
references to climate zone schemes in North America, Canada,
Europe, Great Britain, and Australia before I found what I was
looking for and quit the search. There MAY have been one for
Africa, too?????

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++