Old 21-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Fw: growth retardant

A message on rec.gardens.

I thought it might interest someone.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Does anyone know of a growth retardant for hanging baskets,
particularly Petunias? Needed to stop the plant bolting
but to flower profusely...

There are several chemicals that are used to control growth:

e.g.
Florel, Bonzi, B-Nine and Sumagic (I believe these are all

trade names).
Florel is one of the oldest ones and it works by maintaining

the plant
in a vegetative state (non-flowering) while the plant is being

treated.
This encourages branching and helps to keep the internodes

short for a
bushier plant. I haven't used the others, but there are

different modes
of operation, particularly in the newer regulators.

However, Florel won't really control petunias once you stop

treating
them so they can flower. Your best bet is to change the variety

of
petunia you are growing to one with a more compact habit.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Hey, it's my turn to be stupid for three minutes: bonsai masters, is it really slow growth that we want in bonsai? In my experience (15 years of being a newbie!), the fast growing trees are the ones you can really train. Slow growing ones (like my mount
ain hemlock), I had to simply try not to ruin too much. So I'm thinking that a growth retardant isn't very useful in bonsai. Whatcha think?

Nina

Old 22-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I am sure glad that someone finally asked that - I've been wondering about
it for some time. It seems that unless you somehow luck out and find some
pretty old material, you are stuck waiting for years for it to grow if all
you have are slow growing plants. I would love, for example, to get a
couple of JBPs. However, I can't afford anything really old and I'm not yet
patient enough to wait for 20 years for the thing to get thicker than a
pencil. I would love to be pointed in the direction of a fast-growing pine
that would give me a similar appearance in a shorter space of time (say 10
year ;-)). I would also think that if it grows faster, larger starter stock
would be available at a lesser cost. Plus, if I botch it up I haven't
ruined a really old tree!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 22-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Kitsune Miko

iwould have to agree with Nina as there are no short
cuts in bonsai.

KitsuneMiko
--- Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Hey, it's my turn to be stupid for three minutes:
bonsai masters, is it really slow growth that we
want in bonsai? In my experience (15 years of being
a newbie!), the fast growing trees are the ones you
can really train. Slow growing ones (like my
mountain hemlock), I had to simply try not to ruin
too much. So I'm thinking that a growth retardant
isn't very useful in bonsai. Whatcha think?

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark
Zimmerman++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 22-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I would love, for example, to get a
couple of JBPs. However, I can't afford anything really old and I'm not yet
patient enough to wait for 20 years for the thing to get thicker than a
pencil.

Well, how about a JWP? I bought a gallon-sized one in 1996 (for about $30), and it's beginning to look a bit like a bonsai now.

Here's a question that Colin Lewis, consultant to the Arnold Arboretum collection, ought to answer: Would a growth retardant be any use in a "finished" bonsai? Some of the Arnold trees, mishandled for many years, have no latitude for further growth. The
Chamaecyparises in the collection, since they don't bud back, are in an end game, and it's difficult to imagine how to fix them (although Colin is doing a splendid job).

Nina, who has no finished bonsai, just big fat overgrown potensai.

Old 22-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Well, how about a JWP? I bought a gallon-sized one in 1996 (for about $30),
and it's beginning to look a bit like a bonsai now.

Nina - I'd love one that size. I have a couple, but both were probably 2 yr
old seedlings when I got them; so I've got some waiting to do for them. I
never see gallon sized ones for sale - only really old, large expensive ones
or little bitty ones like I have. I know Brent Walston sells them, but then
I'd pay as much for shipping as for the tree! Where did you get yours?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant Brent Walston Bonsai 24 30-01-2004 05:45 PM
growth retardant umvoti Gardening 14 24-01-2004 08:02 PM
[IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant Brent Walston Bonsai 0 22-01-2004 06:56 PM
[IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant Brent Walston Bonsai 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
growth retardant umvoti Gardening 0 21-01-2004 03:05 PM