Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
sbudi

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

I have used many mica pots, but so far I found no problem with the tree.
Budi
Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
sbudi

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Mark,

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Mark,

-------------------------------

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Mark,

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Marty Haber

Ireneu & Mark - this thread has been explored ad infinitum a couple of years
ago at this site. It all boils down to the argument of artificial flowers
vs. real ones.
AHA! You must stop me here. Artificial flowers are NOT real flowers, but
both mica pots and ceramic pots are artificial. Well, you have me there.
HOWEVER - artists have been using ceramics for thousands of years. There
has to be a reason. A beautiful ceramic bonsai pot can sit on a shelf all
by itself and be a source of visual enjoyment all by itself. I can't say
the same for mica pots.
NEVERTHELESS - I agree with the mica protagonists who argue for the positive
qualities found in mica.
End of discussion - Mica is great for training purposes:
ceramics are great for great bonsai.
Marty
P.S. This is not an expression of snobbery. M.

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Craig Cowing

Andy Rutledge wrote:

Hi Mark,

[...]

This is scary. Andy and I actually *somewhat* agree. I like mica pots for the
reasons already mentioned. I use them here at home, and at this point I feel that
they are appropriate for trees in training, really large trees in general that are
going to be overly heavy in a ceramic pot, and for local and club exhibitions. I
don't know exactly where I'd draw the line in terms of acceptability, though.
Major exhibits, perhaps, although I saw several trees in mica pots at the
exposition last October at the North Carolina State Arboretum and they looked
really good--they obviously had been oiled.

2) We're human. When dealing with artistry - an admittedly snooty endeavor
(and define "snooty" at your peril) - the specific quality of the elements
involved has an impact on the viewer (from small to enormous) AND the
exhibitor. Humans generally enjoy exhibiting and viewing rare quality and
great craftsmanship more than we enjoy exhibiting and viewing "plastic"
make-do elements. Often, what we know about an objet d'art impacts our
enjoyment.

So sure, recognize that bonsai artistry has snooty elements.

"Snooty" really isn't the best term here. "Particular," perhaps. When I have a
large tree that I feel is worth showing, I will probably look around for a ceramic
pot. I realize that my bigger trees are going to take a number of years to really
be presentable. When they are presentable, I want to have them look their best.
To wait on the larger ceramic pots a few years also helps me to be patient with a
larger tree, and not rush it in it's training. I have been doing bonsai long
enough (5 years) so that I'm beginning to get a sense of the longer-term aspect of
the art--not rushing a tree, but working on it steadily and watching it progress
through several seasons. And in terms of display, Andy's right. Whether the pot
is glazed or unglazed, a ceramic pot, especially a well-made one, is generally
better looking than a mica pot.

snip

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Craig Cowing

Andy Rutledge wrote:

Hi Mark,

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Craig Cowing

Andy Rutledge wrote:

Hi Mark,

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Craig Cowing

Andy Rutledge wrote:

Hi Mark,

Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
richard marcus

When you go to the pub you wear jeans and a sweatshirt and to a gala
event you wear a suit and tie. It's that simple,'nough said.
My 2 cents
Richard Marcus

********

--