Old 26-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

Ireneu: Mica pots are an inexpensive (usually) substitute for ceramic
bonsai pots. It is acceptable to use them in all but the more formal
exhibits. They are not preferable to ceramic containers, but their
lower price and durability do make them attractive alternatives. They
will not damage your tree any more than any other kind of bonsai pot
might.
Alan Walker

Old 26-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Andy Rutledge

I'm interested to buy a big pot for one tree, but ceramic pots are too
expensive and then I had thought in mica pots, because they are cheaper
than ceramics.

----------------------

Excellent choice for economy's sake and for training.
----------------------

It's recommendable to use this kind of pots instead ceramic? Can I
damage the tree?
Thank you a lot!
-Ireneu-

----------------------

Of course you can damage the tree - but not by use of mica pots. Mica pots
are great pots for training and they don't look half bad, either. Go for
it, save a buck and get a good pot.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

Old 26-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Craig Cowing

I'm interested to buy a big pot for one tree, but ceramic pots are too
expensive and then I had thought in mica pots, because they are cheaper
than ceramics.

----------------------

Excellent choice for economy's sake and for training.
----------------------

It's recommendable to use this kind of pots instead ceramic? Can I
damage the tree?
Thank you a lot!
-Ireneu-

----------------------

Of course you can damage the tree - but not by use of mica pots. Mica pots
are great pots for training and they don't look half bad, either. Go for
it, save a buck and get a good pot.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

I use mica pots for training, as one step up from a wooden box. For instance,
I've got a really fat honeysuckle that's over a century old that I collected last
year. It's in a 24" mica pot now, which makes it at least somewhat portable, as
much as a tree that size can be portable. After another couple of years I think
it's going to go into a ceramic pot.

The way I'm looking at it, I 'm not going to spend a lot of money on a big ceramic
pot and then discover that it either isn't right for the tree, or the tree isn't
worthy of the pot. For me, I'd wait on a large ceramic pot until I really felt the
tree was ready for it. For most cases, as Alan Walker noted in a separate email,
many exhibits even allow them. Go for the mica for now, and save up for the
ceramic pot once the tree has had a few years in training and you have a better
idea what it's going to look like, and as a result, you'll have a much better idea
what size and shape pot will work for it.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 26-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

They are not preferable to ceramic containers, but their
lower price and durability do make them attractive alternatives.

One major advantage of mica pots, in my humble opinion, is the weight
factor. I have found this to be an advantage especially on larger pots.

Nic

Old 26-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Ireneu Castillo

Thank you, Andy

I'm from Barcelona (Catalonia-Spain), and here we have a lot of heat and sun in
summer. I had heard that some people had problems with mica pots because they absorb
more heat than ceramic due to his black colour. It's really this?

-Ireneu-

Old 26-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Ireneu Castillo

Thanks Billy!

Well... it's for one olive wood, I think that I need one pot 20" long.

-Ireneu-

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

In a message dated 1/25/2004 7:14:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

It's recommendable to use this kind of pots instead ceramic? Can I
damage the tree?

You will not damage the tree. Some bonsai shows will not allow mica pots
to be used for trees on display, but they are a good solution for someone
looking for a larger, less expensive pot.
However, if your tree is worth it, think about saving up for the right
ceramic pot.
Some of the Chinese pots are very good looking and fairly reasonable
in price.
How big a pot do you need?
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 26-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Craig Cowing

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

They are not preferable to ceramic containers, but their
lower price and durability do make them attractive alternatives.

One major advantage of mica pots, in my humble opinion, is the weight
factor. I have found this to be an advantage especially on larger pots.

Nic

No question about it--and this is certainly a factor when a tree is in training,
as you might be more likely to move a tree around to work on it. On the other
hand, when a tree is fairly well established you're going to be more likely to show
it, so I guess it's the same.

The big honeysuckle I mentioned in a previous post is just moveable by myself in a
mica pot. By comparison, I have an apple tree in an oval 20" pot, ceramic, that is
smaller in size and half as deep, and they probably weigh abou the same.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 26-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Mark Hill

Hi all...

Here's a question to prolong this thread ..... Why are mica pots not
preferred show containers?
All my trees are in training (in mica pots), so I'm not overly concerned
about purchasing a fancy ceramic pot, but I still can't figure out why mica
isn't an accepted container for display.
Mine look good. (at least I think so)

Is it simply because ceramic pots cost much more, therefore they must be
better ?

Sounds a bit snooty to me !!

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 7 (buried in snow !!)

Old 26-01-2004, 09:53 PM
dalecochoy