Old 01-02-2004, 07:49 PM
adam roler

Default [IBC] dead trees?

hello all,
this message is to those who are good with buxus ans
acers. i have a boxwood that is all kind of an orangy-tan
color right now. i was told that some boxwoods lose their
color in the winter and some don't. last winter this thing
was the same color and turned green again in the spring.
the thing is, it is now very brittle and i don't remember
it being brittle last winter. i repotted it last year but
i've not done anything drastic to it for quite some time.
it is inside right now under lights. are there any
specific ways that you know of that you could share to let
me know if it is dead?
also i have an acer palmatum that is kinda the same way.
it is outside in my enclosed unheated porch. i know that
you can scratch the trunk and look for green but i have
done that too many times and i fear that if it isn't
already dead, my scratching it so many times might cause it
injury. so the same question applies to the acer. anyone?

in his grace
adam
indianapolis indiana

=====
"...we have (still) a great need for a Savior, and a great Savior for our need." -Derek Webb

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 AM
MartyWeiser

Adam,

The A. palmatum is dormant for the winter in your neck of the woods and
should have either dead brown leaves or no leaves at all. If after a two to
three weeks of above freezing weather and sun this spring it is in the same
condition then you have need to be concerned. Whether or not the tree drops
its leaves in the fall depends upon how it entered dormancy in the fall -
most of my maples are in the cold frame with leaves.

In a colder, harder winter boxwood leaves will often brown and sometimes
fall off. My finding is that this stresses boxwoods more than if they end
up keeping their leaves in a greenish state. However, I am sure if varies
from variety to variety.

It looks to me like you need to let the trees rest for the winter and not
worry about them once you have them settled in. Once mine are put away I
water them about once a month (hopefully when it is above freezing) and
close the door to the cold frame when the low is expected to be below about
15F (-9C). Otherwise, it is a time to work with a few indoor trees and plan
for the spring.

Regards - Marty

Old 04-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Brian Corll

Scratch away a bit of the bark on one of the end shoots and see if you see
green underneath. If so, all mey be well. If the twig is stiff, the bark
does not scratch off easily and you see brown underneath, you've got a dead
boxwood on your hands.

o.com...

****