Old 13-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Dana Lone Hill

Default [IBC] OT-Returning bonsai addict saying hello

Hello all,

I've been on this list off and on for the past four years. Well, I'm back on again! : )

My name Dana lone Hill. I currently live in South Dakota, zone 4, and I'm working as a IT tech person for a school. I'm orginally from SD so it's good to be back. But I forgot how cold it can get, especially when the wind kicks up.

Sadly, all the trees I had have died. 2003 was a rough time for me personally and I didn't take care of them like I should have. Looking back, I should have kept at it or given them to someone who could take care of them.

On the bright side, I'm starting over. I'm also looking for new trees. Cedars, pines, junipers, and yes, even a serissa or two. : ) Any tree that can live in a zone 3 or 4 I'm taking a look at. Any ideas on zone 3, 4 trees would be appreciated.

I've also found out that there are azalea's that can stand a SD winter, it's a hybrid developed by the University of Minnesota. So I might give one or two of them a try.

It's good to be back. Glad to see both old and new people on the list.

BTW. I just bought this serissa at a mall in a mica pot with stones glued on top, and I was wondering..... (Just kidding) : )

Dana Lone Hill
Zone 4

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-02-2004, 07:51 PM
kevin bailey

Welcome back Dana.

Good luck with the search for replacements. You can take this
opportunity to improve on any earlier impulses and now only go for
things with real potential. Scour the nurseries, landscape nurseries
particularly, for the best you can afford. You won't regret the extra
time and money spent in the long run.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Old 13-02-2004, 08:45 PM
marty haber

Welcome back, Dana. Your mention of S. Dakota brings back memories. I
passed thru there on my honeymoon, 54 years ago. We found a lovely spot in
a pine grove covered with a cushion of pine needles. Not a soul around to
bother us. We pitched our tent and went to sleep. Next morning we woke up
to a beautiful sunrise, took out our portable charcoal grill, and proceded
to boil some eggs. Sure enough, a state trooper spotted us and ordered us
away: this was not an authorized camp site. He did let us finish our
breakfast though, so I have to be thankful for that.
Marty

Old 14-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Iris Cohen

Any ideas on zone 3, 4 trees would be appreciated. BRBR

You don't really have to limit yourself to trees which are hardy outdoors. If
you have an insulated garage, unheated enclosed porch, or some other location
which you can keep between 25 and 45 deg. during the winter, you can
accommodate a wide range of material. Some total addicts keep small hardy
bonsai in the refrigerator for their dormant period.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 14-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Bart Thomas

Dana:

Check out the Golden Arrow Bonsai site. They're in Deadwood.

http://www.goldenarrowbonsai.com/

Great species out there.

Old 14-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Hello all,

I've been on this list off and on for the past four years. Well, I'm back
on again! : )

Hi Dana! Glad you're back. Too bad Stefan Sandstrom is in one of his
"gone" periods, or he could tell you what he grows in Sweden.

Caragana arborescens is a shrubby legume that is hardy to zone 3; it has
small leaves and looks like it would be a nice bonsai, but Stefan, when I
asked him about it, wasn't very enthusiastic.

Nina Shishkoff

Old 14-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Henrik Gistvall

I can probably help. But, US zone 3 means nothing to me. If you could
give me some info on the climate I would appreciate it.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden