Old 17-02-2004, 11:16 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Ciment Fondu

Try asking for High Alumina Cement. Builders supply places near me don't
stock it but get it in quickly on request. If you haven't used it before
you must mix it with ordinary Portland cement to get the rapid set that
you are after. Experiment with small quantities of the mix to get the
setting time you want.

There's more on this in the archives.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Allen

I wouldn't think that the high-alumina would be necessary for making
fake rocks. I understand why it's good for making slabs (though i've
done without it). For fake rocks - try hypertufa ... easily made from
portland cement, peat moss or finely ground bark and sand or pearlite.
The nice thing about hypertufa is after a year or so, moss will grow
on it, and i don't think the high alumina stuff is going to do that.

(Michael Persiano) wrote in message ...
In a message dated 2/17/2004 4:45:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Hi,
I am looking for a ciment fondu seller in the Maritimes (Canada).
The ciment is used to make bonsai landscapes. (fake rocks)

Any info would be appreciated.
Larfarge makes an excellent product, which I have used with success. I am
not familiar with Maritimes.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Old 18-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Bart Thomas

Allen, et al.:

I suspect the inquiry results from a reading of Su Chin Ee's Creating Bonsai
Landscapes, and is specific to the projects involven in that book.

By and large, we are taling about fairly small scale rocks, and very
specific uses.

I have been following this thread with interest because I had never heard of
Ciment Fondu until noting its use in the projects from this beautiful book.

BTW, I have not yet started on any of these projects. First, you have to
grow the trees!

Old 19-02-2004, 12:34 AM
dalecochoy

Old 19-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Peter K.

Can someone tell me what exactly cement fondue is? I know what hypertufa
is, is cf similar?

--
Peter Kulibert zone 4a/5b

Old 19-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Jim Lewis

I have been following this thread with interest because I had

never heard
of
Ciment Fondu until noting its use in the projects from this

beautiful
book.

Bart,
I'm suprised. I thought Chase had done some work with it.
If you have the BCI "Indices" you could search it. I remember

several years
Back when Bill V. had speakers ( Bill Jordan) who did some

Ciment Fondue
work. I remembr they made a tall mountain that my late friend

Mel Tellus
bought in the Saturday night auction. I'm sure these pics are

in the old
mags.

There's a detailed how-to article on Colin Lewis' site.
http://www.btinternet.com/~colinlewi...ng/Cement.html

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 19-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Jim Lewis

Old 19-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Jim Lewis

Old 19-02-2004, 04:55 PM
kevin bailey

There's a detailed how-to article on Colin Lewis' site.
http://www.btinternet.com/~colinlewi...ng/Cement.html

Colin's tutorial is excellent apart from missing out the advice I gave
in my previous post. Don't forget to add the magic ingredient - a
proportion of Ordinary Cement, or the rapid set is not achieved.

Kev Bailey

---

Old 19-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Kevin. You graciously write,
Don't forget to add the magic ingredient - a
proportion of Ordinary Cement, or the rapid
set is not achieved

When my bonsai club created a ciment fondue slabs, they set for at least 24
hours. We might well have used Portland cement-- I would guess that we did.
Is there advantage to rapid-setting other than being "rapid?" Perhaps 24
hour setting is rapid though it would seem painfully slow for curing our
thin pours.

It was a great club project for team building. Every detail had its
importance. The product was awesome-- really satisfying. Too good for my
poor bonsai. I've been enjoying the slab for years as a garden element
which has wonderful seasons. Lichen love it!

The sand we used was carefully selected-- sharp & relatively fine, as I
recall. That seemed IMPORTANT at the time as well as not adding too much
water.

I'd jump at the opportunity to create another.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Ciment Fondu Julien LeBlanc Bonsai 0 17-02-2004 09:32 PM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM