Old 01-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Leaves emitting sticky substance (Fujian Tea)

Gary:
Billy is right on with the goo, which is probably the "dew" expelled
from pests that may be invisible to the eye. Use a strong magnifying
glass and check the leaves.

Here's a home made brew that will work on most insects:

SOAP solution!

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1
tablespoon of vegetable oil into a plastic gallon and slowly add

water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon
bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps

full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray
immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I

suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add
the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the

alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug
for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to
spray from three to four times with intervals of three

days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my
trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the
trees from this mixture.

Grillmann wrote:

I have a 10 year old Fujian Tea, that I purchased last summer. It has been
happy and healthy, and still looks healthy, but during the winter it begun
to emit a sticky substance from it's leaves. The leaves are now constantly
sticky and the table around the pot continously has the same sticky goo.

Does this sound normal?

Gary

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Schatzi Sarceno

Hi there, Gary,

First- whether you call it a "fujian tea" or a "fukien tea" (both are correct), it's the same tree. I have three of them, and adore them to pieces However, over the course of the past year, I had the same exact problem with two of them. My advice is first-
check for scale- that was my problem. You can pretty much hand remove the bigger ones from the leaves and branches. To eliminate them though, I have to tell you that Carl Rosner's soap solution works fantastic! I have been using it for quite a while on al
l my trees not just my fukien (fujian) teas, and it has always controlled all my pest problems without dumping all those nasty chemicals into my little ones' systems. That sticky sappy stuff was coming from the scale bugs, and after using the spray a few t
imes, all is back to normal once again. But you have to keep on checking them. Even with that scale problem, my fukien teas looked wonderfully heathy- green as can be and growing like crazy- just so blasted sticky and messy!

Good luck!

Schatzi Sarceno- SW Connecticut- zone 6ish-
In beautiful Connecticut- where if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes- it WILL change!

I have a 10 year old Fujian Tea, that I purchased last summer. It has been
happy and healthy, and still looks healthy, but during the winter it begun
to emit a sticky substance from it's leaves. The leaves are now constantly
sticky and the table around the pot continously has the same sticky goo.

Does this sound normal?

Gary

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom

Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Steve wachs

Scale is a bug that causes that. It's easy to detect. they appear a0a shiny brown crust on the bark or can be seen on the underside of the leaves. If you have them get rid of them.
SteveW
Long Island NY