Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] collecting

"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:

A local landscape supply company here sells something they call "shrub and
bedding" soil. It is a mixture of topsoil, shredded bark, and course sand.
You can buy it for something like $15 for a pickup truck bed full (1/2
yard). Buy one or two bags of Turface or Scotts clay soil conditioner and
mix in there and you have a relatively cheap close proximity to Bonsai soil.
If you are planting into large grow boxes or better yet, in the ground,
there is not as much need to get rid of the fines...at least my collected
stuff didn't seem to mind.

Ditto. In a box there's more room, and I find I don't have to be as strict about
the contents of the soil. This kind of mixture still drains pretty well yet
retains enough moisture.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Steven Wachs

I make my own mix of potting mix, peat moss and sand. when I change the
bonsai soil, i recycle my mix.
When you collect trees it is the best ime to cut the tree back and root
prune. I do not leave more than will fit in a 5 gallon pot at the max

Old 06-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Craig Cowing

Steven Wachs wrote:

I make my own mix of potting mix, peat moss and sand. when I change the
bonsai soil, i recycle my mix.
When you collect trees it is the best ime to cut the tree back and root
prune. I do not leave more than will fit in a 5 gallon pot at the max

I generally collect only deciduous trees in the wild, which are usually much more
amenable to root-pruning. I usually leave about 10-12" diameter around the trunk,
the total diameter of which will vary depending on the size of the trunk.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Consider, when you read the following...I live on the edge of the Southern
Arizona High Desert...at 4550' elevation. Also, I don't do a lot of
collecting.

Since I can't get a pick more than 2" into the soil (unless it's rained for 4
days), and if I do dig a hole 18" deep and fill it with water, it takes 5-7
hours to drain, I do not grow out any trees in the ground. And, no Virginia,
at my age, I'm not going to build a raised growing bed.

However, when I do (rarely) collect, I pot up the small (less than 2" trunk)
subjects in oversized planters and use pure perlite. I've had a few of these
produce in ONE year, more roots than I could use.

You do have to watch perlite closely since it tends to hold on to too much
water.

On subjects with trunks over 2" I generally use pure pumice...with good
results.

Cactus mix has also worked for me for a first soil mix for collected subjects.

It (perlite, pumice, cactus mix) works for me!

My regular potting mix is equal parts of pumice, lava and OilDri (or other
fired clay) with 5%, plus or minus (depending on species), cactus mix.

We just finished what the forecasters are calling the last winter storm...rain,
hail and snow (at 4550'). Looking for temps in the mid 70s to low 80s next
week, here in Oracle.

Has the real spring really arrived?

Have a good day.

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'