Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Call to Artists

Old 06-03-2004, 05:44 PM
dalecochoy

Old 06-03-2004, 05:44 PM
dalecochoy

Old 06-03-2004, 05:45 PM
dalecochoy

Old 06-03-2004, 05:49 PM
dalecochoy

Old 06-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Jim Lewis

Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Alan Walker

Such a dither!! What Andy says is correct. But any assumption
that a competition that focuses on one part of display will result in "a
ridiculous mess" also assumes that the jury will not appreciate the need
for harmony in composition. 'Tain't necessarily so.
Bonsai stands can enhance or ruin a bonsai display. I seem to
recall that the announcement mentioned that the stands would be matched
to specific bonsai, so the artist who enters should realize the need for
compositional harmony, if they hope to win. I'm sure there will be a
few ridiculous messes, but what's the harm?
I don't see how bonsai is threatened by events like these.
Mostly the traditional styles are superior, but occasionally someone
manages to come up with a novel idea which will eventually become one of
the "traditional" styles. Such scolding stifles creativity and sucks
the fun out of bonsai. No wonder we're such a geriatric group on the
whole!
Alan Walker
Enter if you wish, but, like a daiza isn't ART, neither is this!
Jim, THAT'S gonna get you some emails!! :)
Dale

Well, not yet, but as Andy noted to me -- offlist -- the extent
to which bonsai is an art is . . . so, at least partially, because the
tree/pot/stand/etc... harmonize for a cohesive (single) image. This
business of working to make one of those elements conspicuous only
occurs at the expense of the overall display. .
.. . In other words, making any part of the composition conspicuous
makes, by definition, the "composition" fall apart and become a
ridiculous mess.
If Pac. Rim wants to highlight stand or pot art, they need to do

Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Such a dither!!

I dunno. Someone has to get excited about something here.

snip

I don't see how bonsai is threatened by events like these.
Mostly the traditional styles are superior, but occasionally

someone
manages to come up with a novel idea which will eventually

become one of
the "traditional" styles. Such scolding stifles creativity and

sucks
the fun out of bonsai. No wonder we're such a geriatric group

on the
whole!

Oh, bonsai isn't "threatened."

It may not be advanced much, though.

MY point was (and is) that to call these "art" is a bit silly. I
can't imagine a real sculptor having a go.

I'm often wrong, though.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

Old 07-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

Such a dither!!

snip

I don't see how bonsai is threatened by events like these.
Mostly the traditional styles are superior, but occasionally someone
manages to come up with a novel idea which will eventually become one of
the "traditional" styles. Such scolding stifles creativity and sucks
the fun out of bonsai. No wonder we're such a geriatric group on the
whole!
Alan Walker

The only thing that is threatened by events such as these is a closed mind.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Philip Lewis

(Jim Lewis) writes:
I think I would take exception to calling a stand for a bonsai a
"sculpture," much less a work of art.

I agree to a point.

A sculpture should be _at least_ the equal to a bonsai as a work
of art, not something for another work of art to squat upon.

I think the rigidity of thinking that one piece of the whole is
subservient to the other would be saying that those folks who create
beautiful bonsai pots are not in fact artists/sculptures.

A tree in a plastic pot can be beautiful can be nice looking.
A nice (empty) bonsai pot, can be a thing of beauty.

But the same tree, presented in that beautiful pot (assuming they go
together) can be fantastic.

In the same way, the potted tree, presented on a fantastic stand, will
join to be a greater thing of beauty.

If i were the sculpture of the stand, i would need to see the tree to
make decisions on proportion, design, flow, etc.... (sounds like that
is their intent:

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection will produce an exhibit of trees
selected from our permanent collection that will be displayed on
original design stands and pedestals that have been created to interact
with a specific tree.

I think the idea is to create a piece of work that is synergistic with
the bonsai... so that the combination of the bonsai and the stand
become a new single entity to be appreciated. Think of it as a
collaboration of the bonsai, pot, and stand sculptors.

Perhaps i've misunderstood your specific problem jim?

--
be safe.
flip