Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Call to Artists

(Jim Lewis) writes:
I think I would take exception to calling a stand for a bonsai

"sculpture," much less a work of art.

I agree to a point.

A sculpture should be _at least_ the equal to a bonsai as a

work
of art, not something for another work of art to squat upon.

I think the rigidity of thinking that one piece of the whole is
subservient to the other would be saying that those folks who

create
beautiful bonsai pots are not in fact artists/sculptures.

Well, though I agree we've dithered more on this topic than it
might deserve, in fact, they are not. And there is absolutely
NOTHING wrong with that. Pottery/ceramics is an ancient and
honorable CRAFT, older by far than most of the so-called arts and
"fine arts." Those who do it (well) are artisans or
craftspersons.

I haven't heard of any potters trying to get their efforts
"elevated" into one of the arts. Potters that I know are
perfectly happy to be known as master craftsmen and women. (One
of the benefits of being a master craftsman, is that living
artisans actually can MAKE a living at it; that's often not so in
"The Arts.")

A tree in a plastic pot can be beautiful can be nice looking.
A nice (empty) bonsai pot, can be a thing of beauty.

But the same tree, presented in that beautiful pot (assuming

they go
together) can be fantastic.

In the same way, the potted tree, presented on a fantastic

stand, will
join to be a greater thing of beauty.

Very true. BUT the pot, and the stand are there to SERVE the
tree, which is their reason for being.

But . . .

If i were the sculpture of the stand, i would need to see the

tree to
make decisions on proportion, design, flow, etc.... (sounds

like that
is their intent:

That relegates sculpture to a craft. I doubt that Michaelangelo
or Rodin, or Calder (???) would have subjected themselves to the
dictates of some other (lesser, perhaps, in their minds) art.

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection will produce an exhibit of

trees
selected from our permanent collection that will be displayed

on
original design stands and pedestals that have been created to

interact
with a specific tree.

I think the idea is to create a piece of work that is

synergistic with
the bonsai... so that the combination of the bonsai and the

stand
become a new single entity to be appreciated. Think of it as a
collaboration of the bonsai, pot, and stand sculptors.

That makes it like a lichen, part algae and part fungus, and
really neither. Or a mule -- which (usually) is sterile.
"Neither fish nor flesh nor good red herring." (John Heywood ca.
1500s, sometime)

Perhaps i've misunderstood your specific problem jim?

Perhaps -- or maybe it's just me.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 AM