Old 06-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Dennis Howke

Default [IBC] Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Call to Artists

IBC Members -- FYI

Hello,

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection is sponsoring an art competition for
this years special exhibit entitled, "Elevations". The Collection is
seeking artists to create a work of sculpture - that will serve as a
display stand or pedestal - that will enhance the visual and emotional
impact of selected bonsai. The artwork will interact with the bonsai in
relation to its spatial dimensions, overall visual mass, movement and
character. The display stands/pedestals may be of traditional design,
but special consideration will be given to those that interact with the
bonsai in novel and imaginative ways.

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection will produce an exhibit of trees
selected from our permanent collection that will be displayed on
original design stands and pedestals that have been created to interact
with a specific tree. Ten designs will be chosen by a jury panel for
inclusion in this exhibit. The exhibition will last from August 13
through September 29, 2004.

Please email me for a prospectus and hope that you might share it with
members of your club, more detailed information is available on our
website at http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/bonsai. (Click hours and
events, Call to Artists, then click in the Example paragraph...). If
you have any question please contact me by email:
or phone 800-525-5440 ext. 3153.

Sincerely,
Adina Lake
Program Assistant Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection
253-924-3153

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Hmm.

As the husband of an award-winning sculptor -- though one who
hasn't sculpted for a while (and who is off judging a dressage
show so isn't here to speak for herself) -- I think I would take
exception to calling a stand for a bonsai a "sculpture," much
less a work of art. A stand is -- by definition ("enhance the
visual and emotional impact OF SELECTED BONSAI") -- subservient
to that which sits upon it. A work of art which CHOOSES to be
subservient is no more than a decoration, if that.

A sculpture should be _at least_ the equal to a bonsai as a work
of art, not something for another work of art to squat upon.

It would be like asking for a painting as a work of art to serve
as the "background" for a bonsai.

Pfooie!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

[...]

Ah, out comes the curmudgeon from his hiding place! Jim, this isn't any different
than pot competitions. I think it's a great idea. I may even enter the contest.
So, double Pfooie!! ;0}

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 06-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

[...]

Hmph. And TRIPLE Pfooie!

Sculpture is a FINE art. Pots ain't. Pots are a CRAFT and a
damned fine one, but pots are made specifically to put something
IN (even though for many, because of their beauty, nothing ever
gets put in them (and I wonder how the pot feels about _this_ --
not living up to its "life's" duty). Sculpture is NOT made to be
a pedestal. In fact, much sculpture itself sits upon a pedestal.

Anyway, there's a heckuva big difference between sculpture and
pottery, and this is advertised as a SCULPTURE competition, when
it should have been touted as a designing a stand competition
(another honorable CRAFT).

Enter if you wish, but, like a daiza isn't ART, neither is this!