Old 15-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] IBC FAQ and website in general (was [IBC] Archives )

Nic: These items predated your term as webmaster. I believe Bill Herr
was webmaster at the time, 5-6 years ago.

Gotcha.

If you deleted anything that looked more like an article, then a
lot was certainly deleted.

Nope, not what I did. Deleted obsolete information (e.g. 10+ year old
distributors list, which after attempt to contact was 95% closed down...)

I *moved* the stuff I had that was rather lengthy that was in the FAQ to the
articles section.

A good FAQ should be fairly easy to search and cover all the
major areas of inquiry. Not an easy task to produce.

This is probably a debate that could go for a long time without much
resolve, as there are many different opinions on what is a good FAQ. I
agree with you that it should be easy to search, and cover major areas. I
view the FAQ as a method to provide a quick answer to a question, more like
a summary of a longer answer.

This was my hope with the FAQ/Articles combo anyway, to reach a point where
FAQ give a good pointer, but that more in depth information on same (or
related) topics be covered in the Articles section.

It should also
have a quality review periodically (at least every couple of years)
which updates and corrects any errors or omissions.

I couldn't agree more.

As webmaster, I can manage content, but I don't feel I have enough knowledge
(nor time) to do this review/assessment.

On a side note, I have had a few people complaining about the lack of
updates on the site, in particular the bonsai classes. Folks, I just can't
hatch classes willy nilly. I've asked often enough here and on the board
for people to prepare classes on a topic of interest, but either the person
doesn't respond, or simply says no. No worries, we *all* have priorities.
I guess it's just a little disheartening to get told to update the site more
often, but to not have so much participation from the membership.

That said, there are a handful or articles that I need to put up, included
reprints of several good pieces by David B, a how to from Carl R, and a
piece from someone else. Sadly, after a month of floods, hurricane winds,
and you-name-it-bad-weather, I am now employed and my time on the machine
has been somewhat reduced :-o

Maybe we can relocate some of these old items and reassess.

Please, by all means.

Nic

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Alan Walker

Nic: Now I'm getting it. I didn't realize there was a separate
"articles" section. I think it would be a good idea to refer people who
automatically look for everything in the FAQ to this page from the FAQ,
i.e. "For more in-depth coverage on these and other questions and
issues, visit http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowbase.php"
Alan Walker

Old 16-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

I think it would be a good idea to refer people who
automatically look for everything in the FAQ to this page from the FAQ,
i.e. "For more in-depth coverage on these and other questions and
issues, visit http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowbase.php"

Yes!!! Great idea. Thanks.

Old 16-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Jim Lewis

I think it would be a good idea to refer people who
automatically look for everything in the FAQ to this page

from the FAQ,
i.e. "For more in-depth coverage on these and other questions

and
issues, visit http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowbase.php"

Yes!!! Great idea. Thanks.

Nic

Maybe, if there is more detail on some topic among the articles,
a direct link from the end of the FAQ mention to the article????

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Maybe, if there is more detail on some topic among the articles,
a direct link from the end of the FAQ mention to the article????

Yes, that is also a good idea that I've tried to implement where I could,
but sometimes the articles came in after the FAQ and I haven't had time (or
thought) to go back to edit the FAQ. Will do :-)

Thanks for the feedback, with suggestions like this one and Alan's, it makes
for a better site :-)