Old 25-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves)1

Good Day to All,
Marty,

and the opposite is true of those of us who
also enjoy growing the sub-tropical/tender temperates
in the tropics.
On April the 1st,the hackberrys and gingko come
out of the refrigerator.Their two months of hard rest are
over.

Looking forward to the building of a cold room to
try growing the cooler types.

I too also enjoyed the few shrubs I had on my window
sill when I lived in Philadelphia or Florence.I still have
my Indoor Oak[Nicodemia Diversifolia/Buddelhia] and
the Malphigia Punicifolia from my months in Philadelphia.

Strangely enough my olive [wild type from South Africa
from seed - now 18 +years old],fukien teas[some from
seed],various elms are only now beginning to grow
actively.
My single specimen of what we call the Japanese Bell
flower[it's really from the Asian tropics],is in full bloom,
as well as my Tamarind.

The nights are still cool down here and the dry season
has begun the heavy colour of trees.There is much
change in the tropics,at least on this island.
In fact I could send you images of areas where it now
looks like winter,sans the snow.The ground below also
devoid of green.

In my case it's,The -dry season- is upon us and the
seasonal parade is about to begin.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
West Indies[Caribbean]

Old 25-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Day to All,

Guess who just figured out that Too-Little needs semi shade
and a sheltered position when grown on the side of a hill
in the tropics.Ha ha ha.

Lots of leaves and branches.No more strange die-backs.

Sometimes I can be so dense.Obviously not all of these Ficus
types are adapted to hot sun and drying winds.
Additionally,thus far,Chinese Pistachio[from seed]needs no
refrigeration,just a cool,heavily sheltered spot in the garden.
Ha,let's see if I am talking proud next March[2005]-ha ha ha.

Seems as though what Arthur Atkinson remarked on our
greater abundance of concentrated sunshine makes a
difference to growing anything in the shade or indoors.
As opposed to someone further up in say the Temperates.

It is becoming more and more obvious that many trees can
adapt and thrive in the Tropics,provided certain conditions
are met.
Though I believe those trees with top temperatures of 80 to
85 deg.F[say 22 to 32 deg.C]for short periods would need
more than just heavy shade and moist air.

Isn't Bonsai/Penjing a great hobby.So many chances to learn.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

*Buxus and Ligustrum do better in the shade down here or
strange die-backs will occur,even Elaeagnus and Sloe [Prunus?]
will grow.
______

Well, I don't have a greenhouse, but my ficus trees, succulents, and

Kingsville
boxwoods have done fine indoors under lights.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++