Old 08-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Re-Repotting Advice-Emergency Procedure

In a message dated 4/7/2004 10:42:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

I felt it was awfully heavy on peat moss, but I
decided not to sift it out.

Now I have all but lost the maple, and I am assuming it is to poor drainage,
for it has been healthy for several years. The elm is okay at the moment,
and one of the pines is pushing candles, but the other is
responding more
slowly.

Blake:

Pines absolutely do not do well in mixes with a strong peat component. If trees in such a mix are frequently watered, the outcome is often root rot.

Do not give up on the Elm, Pine, or Maple. I suggest the following be immediately done:

1. Remove the trees from their pots and shake out the bad soil.
2. Cut back on the dead roots until white cores appear.
3. Soak the root pads in a fungicidal bath for 15 minutes with Roots 2 or Superthrive (let's not get into product discussions here).
4. Repot each tree in a FAST draining soil. Turface, coarse sand, orchid fir bark, and haydite is a great mix. Decomposed granite is a good substitute for haydite, etc.
5. Water the trees in with Roots 2 or Superthrive, and using one of these EVERYTIME you water for the next 4-6 weeks.
6. Shade the trees for 1 week and then gradually move them into the sun

Good Luck,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
Need procedure for interspecies grafting. Peter Jason Plant Science 2 13-11-2003 01:15 PM
Need procedure for interspecies grafting. Peter Jason Plant Science 2 13-11-2003 06:02 AM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 14-03-2003 02:44 AM