Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Colin Lewis

I receive a free magazine called "Greenhouse Grower" and to my amazement I
see a classified ad for a book by Colin Lewis that appears to be placed by the
publishers of the magazine and they are selling the book through their website.
This might even result in some better mallsai.

This magazine also had a poster on horticultural chemicals that includes a
key to how the chemical works.

I think this is very helpful, if you are going to use chemicals you should
alternate the ones you use to keep the pathogen from developing resistance as
quickly.

What this poster does is help you select chemicals that act on the same
pathogen in different ways.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

This magazine also had a poster on horticultural chemicals that includes a
key to how the chemical works.

I think this is very helpful, if you are going to use chemicals you should
alternate the ones you use to keep the pathogen from developing resistance
as
quickly.

It's not so crucial for us as bonsai hobbyists, but it's essential that
the places from which we buy our potensai practice IPM (integrated pest
management). When I was participating in a survey of pesticide resistance
in greenhouses, it was clear that the number of oomycetes resistant to
fungicides differed significantly from operation to operation, and the
reason was probably that some operators used only one pesticide, while
others alternated among several.

It used to be that when resistance developed to one pesticide, chemical
companies would just develop another one. Nowadays, they're running out
of ways to create "new" pesticides, and it's essential to preserve the
ones we have, especially since we're trying to phase out the really toxic
ones (like methyl bromide).

Nina

PS on potensai- I've been buying mass quantities of plants from "Forest
Farm" nursery for my research, and have been pleased with them, so I
bought an order for myself to use as bonsai. They allow you to specify on
the form that you want the plant for bonsai- and the plants I specified as
such turned out to be, in fact, very nice potensai. So I recommend this
company.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Jim Lewis

PS on potensai- I've been buying mass quantities of plants

from "Forest
Farm" nursery for my research, and have been pleased with them,

so I
bought an order for myself to use as bonsai. They allow you to

specify on
the form that you want the plant for bonsai- and the plants I

specified as
such turned out to be, in fact, very nice potensai. So I

recommend this
company.

The company has one of the best -- and enjoyable -- catalogs,
too. Its nomenclature even seems to be accurate -- very unusual
for a nursery.

Haven't bought from them -- yet -- but plan to.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - It is better
to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Colin Lewis Marty Haber Bonsai 0 13-09-2004 11:11 AM
[IBC] Colin Lewis (Now IPM) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 11-04-2004 06:32 PM
[IBC] Colin Lewis Demo James Harris Bonsai 0 21-05-2003 08:44 PM
[IBC] Pictures of Colin Lewis from Mid-Atlantic Michael Pollock Bonsai 0 17-04-2003 08:56 PM
[IBC] Colin Lewis book review Andy Rutledge Bonsai 3 25-03-2003 02:08 AM