Old 11-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Emogenebennett

Default Q:Beech initial root pruning. How much is too much?

This past fall, I dug a particularly nice American Beech (~30" tall, nice
informal upright w/well-tapering trunkline) from the backyard and potted it in
a 3x7" glazed oval pot with standard bonsai soil. I cut approximately 75% of
the root system away (nearly all the tap root, of course, and most laterals) to
get it into the pot (which was admittedly too small, but the only spare I had
at the time). I took off approx 25% topside and it then went into my unheated
garage for overwintering. Fast forward four months to now (March). Daytime
temperatures are in the mid-70s (Fahr) and the tree has survived the winter --
it broke dormancy and is now developing its first set of leaves. Every branch
is well-budded and it's growing well.

So, my question is this: When will I know if this tree is going to survive the
rather severe root pruning I gave it last fall? (e.g. when is it "over the
hump" in terms of survival?) Does the simple fact that it's now growing well
mean that it's likely to survive the root/topside imbalance I created last year
or am I facing future disaster?

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions. -- Jon