GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/58751-very-young-ficus-repot-w-w-o-root-pruning.html)

John 12-04-2004 10:05 PM

Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning?

I have recently decided to take up Bonsai as a hobby, and picked up a
couple(5) very young Ficus Benjamina from the local home depot and try
them. My question is that currently I have them all in a long rectangle
pot but wish to seperate them. They range from 4-7 1/2 inches, and I had
planned on repoting those that are ~ 7 or 8 inches in their own pots
sometime next week and I'm wondering if its advisable to do any pruning
of the roots with the plant being so young/small and if it is
inadvisable what hight should they approximatly be before prunning
should occur with repoting?