Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Pat Patterson

Default [IBC] Making your own soil? (light vs heavy)

G'day all...

Alan...Jim...You refer to light/heavy soil mixes. I know that you don't mean
to put them on a scale...but, for the newer folks, would you define light and
heavy?

Have a good day...

Pat
Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Alan Walker

Pat: Light means just that; relatively light weight soil mix with lots of
air space as described. Soil mixes must drain easily for bonsai to thrive.
A heavy compacted soil would hold moisture too long and cause root rot and
other ills.
Alan Walker
Alan...Jim...You refer to light/heavy soil mixes. I know that you don't
mean to put them on a scale...but, for the newer folks, would you define
light and heavy?
Have a good day...
Pat

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Pat: Light means just that; relatively light weight soil mix
with lots of
air space as described. Soil mixes must drain easily for

bonsai to thrive.
A heavy compacted soil would hold moisture too long and cause

root rot and
other ills.
Alan Walker

Generally, though, "heavy" soils will be higher in organic
material that holds water (making the soil even heavier!) and
will have a finer texture -- especially after being in a pot for
a while.

Pat's soil probably could/should be "heavier" than mine since
he's in the dry desert and doesn't want to water 4 times a day.
So his should be designed to hold on to the wetness a bit longer.
With relative humidity in the single digits or teens and
temperatures up in the 90s or more he probably has a time keeping
his trees wet enough.

I have temps in the 90s, too. But my relative humidity is
usually a minimum of 50-60 percent (or more) in the summer.
Water evaporates from soil a lot more slowly (and we Southerners
MOVE a lot more slowly ;-) with that humidity.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Where the
humidity has been hovering around 20 percent lately and where our
rainfall is already down 7 inches for 2004.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Thanks for your responses, Alan and Jim...

My soil mix is non-organic...equal parts of lava, pumice, and OilDri (or
Turface)...with 5-7 percent organic added.

I very rarely water more than once daily, keeping in mind that I live at 4550'
elevation, 2000' above Tucson, 7-10 degrees F lower than Tucson...at the upper
edge of the Arizona High Desert.

Have a nice day...