Old 19-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Allen

Default Black pussywillows for bonsai ?

A nursery near me has several "Black Pussywillows" in 3 gal pots that
they're going to let go cheap ... I've never heard of these for
bonsai, so i didn't leap on them. I got a nice ilex deciduosa and an
odd boxwood though. Any words of encouragement or discouragement on
the Black Pussywillow ?
Old 22-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Iris Cohen

A nursery near me has several "Black Pussywillows" in 3 gal pots that
they're going to let go cheap ... I've never heard of these for
bonsai, so i didn't leap on them. BRBR

The botanical name is Salix gracilidelineata 'Melanostachys.' It is hardy to
Zone 4 or 5. They have beautiful red flowers in February or March. I have heard
of it being used for bonsai. Give it a try.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)