Old 21-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Trident maple and juniper problem

Sounds like root rot on both trees to me. Neither ever needed to be indoors.

On the Maple, check the roots for black rotten roots, remove them, plant in
new soil and don't over water, place outdoors in a shaded location.

On the Juniper you could try the same thing, but Junipers stay green for
months after they are dead, if one branch is brown the others will probably follow
very quickly.

In a message dated 4/20/2004 8:54:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I decided to switch my trident maple I got a few months ago to a larger
training pot so the trunk will grow.

Problem is I made the switch and now it seems to be dying, I have it in
a large pot and I have been watering it normally. Most of the leaves that
grew
indoors have become how should I say this wilted and brown (looks as
through the leaves have been burnt if you know what I mean). Any
suggestions?

Also I have a small juniper and it looks nice except for one branch has
become completely brown, the rest of the tree looks fine, but hasn't had
really any new growth?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Theo wrote:

Mike wrote:

Hey guys,

I decided to switch my trident maple i got a few months ago to a larger
training pot so the trunk will grow.

Problem is I made the switch

what do you mean by switch?

and now it seems to be dying, i have it in
a large pot and i have been watering it normally. I think it might be
due to the weather, in philly the weather has been a little crazy and
only now is it continually staying warm. Most of the leaves that grew
indoors have become how should i say this wilted and brown (looks as
through the leaves have been burnt if you know what i mean). Any
suggestions?

If you bring a tree in full leaf from the inside to the outside the tree
have not adopted to strong sun and lack the important wax layer that
protects the leaf. There migth been some sun burn. You need to slowly
bring the tree in to sun from full shade.

Cut of the dead juniper branch or jin it.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Hey guys,

I decided to switch my trident maple i got a few months ago to

a larger
training pot so the trunk will grow.

Problem is I made the switch and now it seems to be dying, i

have it in
a large pot and i have been watering it normally.

Billy is probably right, and here is a major part of the problem.
"Watering normally" is exactly what you do NOT do right after you
transplant -- even to a larger pot and assuming little root
disturbance.

Rest assured that roots WERE disturbed when you moved it. It
just can't take in the "normal" amount of water and the roots, as
a result, sit in soggy soil.

And then, as someone said, moving it right outside into the sun
reduced the leaves' ability to transpire -- keeping even MORE
water in the soil.

Check the roots as Billy said, then move it into the shade, give
it a light feeding, and do NOT water until the soil feels dry!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2004, 05:08 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 4/20/2004 8:54:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Most of the leaves that grew
indoors have become how should i say this wilted and brown (looks as
through the leaves have been burnt if you know what i mean). Any
suggestions?

Also i have a small juniper and it looks nice except for one branch has
become completely brown, should i snip it off? the rest of the tree
looks fine, but hasnt had really any new growth?

Any help would be great.
--

Mike
Mike:

I have my studio in the suburbs of Philadelphia--when simply went from winter
to summer. );-)

Trident: Defoliate the tree and place it outside in full sun to produce a
new crop of leaves. Do not overwater this tree in its defoliated state.

Juniper: Remove the dead branch, but check the root pad. Unexpected branch
death can be the result of root rot. If you find rotten roots, follow the
procedure as described in the email about the Sageretia, which I sent to Dunk.

If you are concerned about your Trident, contact me off list and we can chat
about your tree over a call.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob