Old 23-04-2004, 01:03 AM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] accent plant gloat

A good friend gave me six Habeneria radiata bulbules! They now sit in accent
pots ready to go.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Jim Lewis

A good friend gave me six Habeneria radiata bulbules! They now
sit in accent
pots ready to go.

Oddly, as your message came up on the screen, dual guitarists Los
Romeros were just starting to play "Habenaria" -- tho I'm not
sure if it is spelled the same way. Maybe Habanera.

But now, what is it? The only "bulbul" I know of is a bird. ;-)
I checked a couple of plant books and didn't find a Genus
Habeneria.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - OLE!.

Old 23-04-2004, 04:08 AM
Kitsune Miko

I think the common name is "coral bells" and I bet it
is Heuchera.

Kitsune Miko
--- Jim Lewis wrote:
A good friend gave me six Habeneria radiata

bulbules! They now
sit in accent
pots ready to go.

Oddly, as your message came up on the screen, dual
guitarists Los
Romeros were just starting to play "Habenaria" --
tho I'm not
sure if it is spelled the same way. Maybe Habanera.

But now, what is it? The only "bulbul" I know of is
a bird. ;-)
I checked a couple of plant books and didn't find a
Genus
Habeneria.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
OLE!.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"Art does not take kindly to facts, is helpless to grapple with theories, and is killed outright by a sermon." Agnes Ropplier
(added to the above)
"How many things in life do we bludgeon with facts, render helpless
with theories, and kill with sermons? If art can help us go beyond
these patterns, we certainly need it in our lives."
Anne Wilson Schaef
From, "Women Who Do Too Much Calandar 2004."

Old 23-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Jim Lewis

9:45 a.m.

Hmm. Still don't find it. Must be very rare, or that's a
"nursery name" (which often isn't the same as the scientific
name), or I have the wrong books -- and I looked it up in a
dozen, ranging from encyclopedic tomes on plants to "bulb books."

10 a.m.

Then inspiration struck and I checked the Dictionary of Plant
Names, Common and Botanical and found Habenaria. It's an orchid
genus (or the common names all have "orchid" in them) -- which
explains why I don't have anything on it -- tho it should have
been in the plant encyclopedia(s).

When it blooms, how about a pic?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Blessed
statistics: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville!
Population: 2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL =
6850

Oops. Habenaria radiata, aka White Egret Flower.

Old 23-04-2004, 06:03 PM
John Biel

kevin bailey wrote:

No need to wait Jim,

Just tried a Google image search and there are loads of pics. This one's
nice http://www.nhbirdsnest.com/orchid_pages/habenaria.htm

Must try to find someone as generous as that to donate a couple of
bulbils in my direction !-)

This (orchid?) looks even better in real life. Suthin used one as an accent plant
in the Bonsai Exhibit at last year's International Bonsai Symposium, in Rochester,
N.Y.

Does anyone have a source for these gems?

John Biel
Toronto ON Canada

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Jim Lewis

No need to wait Jim,

Just tried a Google image search and there are loads of pics.

This one's
nice http://www.nhbirdsnest.com/orchid_pages/habenaria.htm

Must try to find someone as generous as that to donate a couple

of
bulbils in my direction !-)

Mmm. Very Pretty . .. if you are partial to orchids, which I've
never been, it would be a nice one to have. ;-)

Old 23-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Jim Clever

Does anyone have a source for these gems?

John Biel
Toronto ON Canada

=====================
Many orchid growers have numerous species and colors of this genus in their
online catalogs. I have dealt frequently with www.andysorchids.com . They
have a pink and yellow variety of Habenaria, ericmichaelii (rhodocheila
pink), and rhodocheila (orange). Many other growers have the white species,
which can be viewed at: http://www.orchidspecies.com/ which says:

Habenaria Willd. 1805 SUBFAMILY Orchidoideae, TRIBE Orchideae, SUBTRIBE
Orchidinae.

There are over 600 species of Habenaria spread throughout the temperate and
tropical grasslands. The greatest concentrations of species is in tropical
South America, Asia and Africa. They are deciduous and die down after the
flowering process leaving a fleshy tuber beneath the ground. When the plant
is dormant it needs little to no water but as the new shoot appears it is
time to water and keep wet till after flowering has occurred. The genus is
characterized by stems covered with spirally arranged leaves, root
tuberoids, a terminal inflorescence giving rise to a flower with the sepals
and petals free, a spurred lip, deeply lobed petals, the anther projects
beyond the rostellum which is fused to the column, two spreading stigmas and
two anther channels holding 2 soft sectile pollina.

Jim Clever
Fort Loudon, PA USA

Nursery Crawl Gloat Chookie Australia 8 06-12-2004 12:54 PM
Gloat! Bob Lawns 1 28-10-2004 07:51 PM
When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!! _ Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-03-2004 07:02 AM
[IBC] Accent Plants & Pots... Luis Fontanills Bonsai 0 01-05-2003 01:08 PM
[IBC] Accent Plants & Pots - A New Artform Luis Fontanills Bonsai 11 28-04-2003 09:08 AM