GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Coir (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/59809-re-%5Bibc%5D-coir.html)

Jim Lewis 25-04-2004 03:03 AM

[IBC] Coir

I've been reading about Coir, the soil conditioner. Anyone out
there who has experimented with it?
Marty

Coir is the fibers from coconut husks. It turns to mush in pots
that get watered as often as bonsai pots.

Don't!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 25-04-2004 03:03 AM

[IBC] Coir

In a message dated 4/24/2004 7:58:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I've been reading about Coir, the soil conditioner. Anyone out there who
has experimented with it?
Marty

I though we had discussed this before. Coir is coconut fiber and is a
byproduct of coconut production. It is being used by Scotts in MetroMix 500 in
place of milled sphagnum peat moss. It is a renewable resource that is more
friendly to the environment than digging up peat bogs in Canada.
Some opinions are that it is better than peat. However, I think Coir based
potting mixes breakdown faster that peat based mixed and plants require more
frequent repotting.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Adam Gottschalk 25-04-2004 04:02 AM

[IBC] Coir

In article 002601c42a57$a0fd6960$fcc12f18@computer,
(marty haber) wrote:

I've been reading about Coir, the soil conditioner. Anyone out there who has
experimented with it?
Marty

As I know it, Coir is a term also used for any coconut fiber product.
Coir rugs for example. In the last few years, one has been able to buy
blocks of compressed coconut-shell fiber to be reconstituted with water.
If this is the stuff you're talking about, I have used it on a very
small scale for seedling mixes and for newly planted seeds. I was told
by someone or other that it could be used just like peat, for example,
for making soil blocks. I haven't tried it, but that's great news as the
poor peat bogs of the world are in a bad way as I hear it
(unfortunately, as with so many other natural amenities).