GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Coir (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/59814-%5Bibc%5D-coir.html)

Bill Daniels 25-04-2004 05:04 AM

[IBC] Coir

Coconut Fibers

An organic potting medium made from natural coconut fibers. Each brick
expands to nine times its compressed size and will fill 5 six-inch pots.
Loosens clay soils; highly porous to aid in strong root development;
soft fluffy texture does not crust when dry; pH neutral 5.7 to 6.3
range; free from weed seeds. Resists bacterial mold and fungal growth.
Replaces peat moss or can be used as a potting medium. Is an excellent
medium for oxygenation.

Bill Daniels Sunnt California

Below is a chart of the Characteristics of Coconut coir

Materials

Nutrient Holding Ability

Water Holding Capacity

Cation

Exchange

Aeration

Quality

Coconut Coir

Moderately high

High

Moderate to high

Moderate to high

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim 25-04-2004 03:02 PM

[IBC] Coir

At 07:55 PM 4/24/2004 -0400, marty haber wrote:
I've been reading about Coir, the soil conditioner. Anyone out there who
has experimented with it?
Marty

I have been using coir for about a year and much prefer it to peat; the
main reason is that it wets without mechanical manipulation. It appears to
have the same acidity as peat so I have used in my azalea mix rather than
peat. I have had a bucket of the stuff mixed with water that has retained
its physical properties for over a year so it seems a good product; if not
I'll holler loudly.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++