GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Developing trunk taper in nursery stock (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/60308-re-%5Bibc%5D-developing-trunk-taper-nursery-stock.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 01-05-2004 03:06 AM

[IBC] Developing trunk taper in nursery stock

Alan G. a member of our Brevard Club has demonstrated this process with Bald
Cypress which are probably faster growing that the species you mentioned.

What Alan says is cut to six inches or less the first year, the second year
cut off all but one inch of the new growth. Each year you let the plant grow
unpruned and then just before bud break cut off all but one inch of new grow.
At the end of five years you have a 10 or 12 inch tree with lots of taper.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 03-05-2004 02:07 AM

In a message dated 4/30/04 9:36:44 PM, GOPHERHILL writes:
What Alan says is cut to six inches or less the first year, the second year
cut off all but one inch of the new growth. * Each year you let the plant
grow unpruned and then just before bud break cut off all but one inch of new
grow. At the end of five years you have a 10 or 12 inch tree with lots of
taper.

Does the same process work in the North?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will leave the tops on for now. In
the fall, I may have to shorten them so they will fit under a rose cone.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++