GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Japanese Holly rescue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/60662-japanese-holly-rescue.html)

Allen 05-05-2004 04:04 PM

Japanese Holly rescue

I just found 5 ilex compacta's at a local nursery that had been put
out to die. These were in 3 gallon pots, and the pots taken off, so
the severely root-bound masses were out in the air for at least a day.
I immediately potted them in larger nursery pots with some old
recycled potting soil and gave them a drink, and put them in the
shade; though they weren't dry because we've had a lot of rain and
cool temps lately (blackberry winter here in Tennessee). I only chose
the ones that had at least 50% green on them. Anyway, what would you
guys do to maximize chances of survival and eventual bonsai ?