Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Jim Sc

Default [IBC] Thread Graft Separation

After I cut the branch part going into the drilled hole (after the graft
has taken), is it best to leave the newly grafted branch grow strongly,
unpruned, or would that put too much energy demand on the newly grafted
area, and I should keep the growth in check?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Jerry Meislik

Jim,
On any graft, I would let it grow for a season at least. If you try to keep
the graft restrained you run the risk of not having it take. You can always
keep the branch restrained later.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 06-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Iris Cohen

After I cut the branch part going into the drilled hole (after the graft has
taken), is it best to leave the newly grafted branch grow strongly, unpruned,
or would that put too much energy demand on the newly grafted area, and I
should keep the growth in check?

On my one successful thread graft, once it took, I treated it like a normal
branch & it was fine.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Theo

Jim Sc wrote:

After I cut the branch part going into the drilled hole (after the graft
has taken), is it best to leave the newly grafted branch grow strongly,
unpruned, or would that put too much energy demand on the newly grafted
area, and I should keep the growth in check?

as it has been separated/cut 2 years after normally it is attatched
to the main trunk
I did that twice but by approach in a trident and both grafted parts
are grown just as all others part
the only attention with approach grafting is wiring
this kind might split

but thred grafting does not split
leaving it grow freely is a better chance to make it weld better

or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni (la Rochefocault)

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits."
-Albert Einstein