Old 11-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Juniper rescue

Pray.

Kirsune Miko

Allen wrote:
There's a house near me that's being rennovated and they've given me
the old junipers growing on the side. These guys are about 3-4"
diameter and stand about 2-3 feet tall. Besides getting all the roots
i can, putting them in some sandy, well draining mix, in the shade,
foliar feedings, and cutting them back so that i've got a 75% top 25%
root proportion .... What other advice can you all give me to give
them the best chance possible ?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

"Art does not take kindly to facts, is helpless to grapple with theories, and is killed outright by a sermon." Agnes Ropplier
(added to the above)
"How many things in life do we bludgeon with facts, render helpless
with theories, and kill with sermons? If art can help us go beyond
these patterns, we certainly need it in our lives."
Anne Wilson Schaef
From, "Women Who Do Too Much Calandar 2004."

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Richard Patefield

On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:27:46 -0700, you wrote:

Pray.

....and when you have them out, give them enough time for your prayers
to be answered.

I might be happier with nearer 50/50 root/foliage, but I'm applying a
general rule. Others may know better in this specific case.

Richard

Kirsune Miko

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Jim Lewis

I might be happier with nearer 50/50 root/foliage, but I'm
applying a
general rule. Others may know better in this specific case.

Richard

=========

Roots are MUCH more important than leaves (needles) -- but be
sure you _have_ needles!!!!!!!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Allen

Thanks for all the advice! What about superthrive ?
And how soon do you think i'll know if i was successful?
I realize that Junipers stay green and pretty for a while after the roots are gone.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks for all the advice! What about superthrive ?
And how soon do you think i'll know if i was successful?
I realize that Junipers stay green and pretty for a while after

the roots are gone.

=============

If you are disastrously not successful, you'll know inside a
month, maybe 6 weeks.

Otherwise, if it clings stubbornly to life you'll be on
tenterhooks through the winter and into spring before you find
out whether it decides to make it. I have had late-collected
juniper put out new growth the following spring, then decide it
took too much stored-up energy to maintain it, and wither away.

Superthrive will neither help nor (probably) hurt.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 13-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Craig Cowing

Allen wrote:

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message

If you are disastrously not successful, you'll know inside a
month, maybe 6 weeks.

Otherwise, if it clings stubbornly to life you'll be on
tenterhooks through the winter and into spring before you find
out whether it decides to make it. I have had late-collected
juniper put out new growth the following spring, then decide it
took too much stored-up energy to maintain it, and wither away.

Superthrive will neither help nor (probably) hurt.

What i really wanted to know was: How soon I can start treating these
junipers like junipers and put them in the sun ? I'm not going to do
any 'bonsai' work or cause them any further stress until they get some
new growth next spring for sure ! I just don't want them to languish
in the cooler shade when they need to be junipers. So ... 6 weeks
you think ?

If it were me I'd wait until I saw new growth, then gradually introduce them to
full sun over the course of the next few weeks. Even though they eventually will
require full sun, they are not at full strength right now because they've just been
collected.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Jim Lewis

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message

[...]

Allen . . .

_I_ can't answer that definitively because I don't know (or
remember) where you are from. If you lived down here, or in the
desert southwest or other very-hot-and-sunny locale, I'd tell you
that it would be safer to keep them in afternoon shade all
summer.

Afternoon sun in many parts of the US is very hot and plants tend
to transpire rapidly in hot sun. With a poor, just-dug-up, and
dug-up-late, root system that could be lethal.

Perhaps if you are in the northeast or northwest (maybe even in
the northern Midwest???) all-day sun would be OK.

Juniper do NOT need full sun all day long -- even healthy
junipers.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Trying to rescue Needle Juniper N. fo boston, a little help? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 31-10-2004 10:14 AM
Trying to rescue Needle Juniper N. fo boston, a little help? Erik S Bonsai 0 31-10-2004 03:56 AM
Juniper rescue Allen Bonsai 0 10-05-2004 11:04 PM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 02:02 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 13-02-2003 12:25 AM