Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Jim Sc

Default [IBC] Can J Maples Take 85 Degree Sun?

We are having an extra warm spring in Pennsylvania. Can Japanese maples
take direct sunlight this time of year when it gets in the low to mid
80's?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Sc wrote:

We are having an extra warm spring in Pennsylvania. Can Japanese maples
take direct sunlight this time of year when it gets in the low to mid
80's?

Thanks,

Jim

I'm not an expert, but I keep mine in partial shade, especially in the afternoon
with those temperatures.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Shelly Hurd

Extra Warm?? Wow. We've already had a couple weeks in the upper 90's and a couple days over 100. Hottest April here in history. Maples are fine. But Jim, they certainly wont stay that way here. Sunburn is the catchword of summer here. It really can'
t be avoided totally, but can be lessened with shade cloth during the mid-day and afternoons when it is the hottest. Plenty of water (don't let them get totally dry) wont hurt, and Iris uses another product (I forget now what because it didn't work for me
in my climate) which works for her, and she is considerably closer to you than I am.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

We are having an extra warm spring in Pennsylvania. Can Japanese maples
take direct sunlight this time of year when it gets in the low to mid
80's?

Thanks,

Jim

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Iris Cohen

We are having an extra warm spring in Pennsylvania. Can Japanese maples
take direct sunlight this time of year when it gets in the low to mid 80's?

My maple bonsai are out in the sun, & while it hasn't been quite that warm
here, I have had no complaints. It depends a lot on the variety. The thread
leaf Japanese maples are more sensitive. Use Pro-TeKt. it really helps.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

New website: 1st Sustainable Living degree in America [email protected] Permaculture 0 23-03-2007 10:07 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 10:51 PM
Need a university or college degree? [email protected] United Kingdom 6 16-01-2005 10:43 PM
edger for 45 degree curbs needed RB Lawns 1 18-04-2004 04:08 AM
identifying Amur (ginnala) maples from all other maples Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 21-05-2003 08:56 AM