Old 19-05-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Satsuki problem - bark splitting

I thought I'd post this and see if I can get some help. I have perhaps
12-15 Satsuki ranging in size from 4" starter pots up to a gallon size
or a bit bigger. I have bought all of these in the last two years, so
I don't have a lot of experience with them. Two months ago or so I
started seeing bark splitting in 7-8 of the plants, some very severe.
I have tried to seal them up as well as possible with Lac Balsam, but
I assume the condition is irreversible. What caused it?? From what I
have found, freezing can do this, but I think we only had 5-6 days
below 32F last winter here. Maybe 28F. was the lowest temperature.
I've also read that fertilizing too late in the summer can cause this
(which I probably did). The plants were also pruned late in the year,
around August. Most of the information I've found has been vague, and
I'm hoping to find someone with some experience to confirm this or
perhaps add to it. I obviously don't intend to fertilize or prune this
late again. But I'm afraid to do much of anything at this point,
although I have a couple new plants that I feel need pruned back. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lauren
NW Oregon, zone 8
Old 19-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Theo

wrote:

HI
I have 3 azaleas as bonsai since 12 years

-I use acidic soil
-I cut off ovaries as soon as each flower fall
-after flowering period I giv a tea spoon of rhododendrons fertilizer
& I wait 10- 15 days before repotting or pruning branches.. ( this
happens in april may..
- nex't season's flower starts coming out in july .. so do not prune ,
but you can cut back too long shots to 2 leaves and just leave 2 new
shots on each branch
-I give some more fertilizer in september
I keep them all the time in sunshine ( beside of teh flowering period
that I take them inside or mid shadow
-I never put them inside a basin of water and if so no more than 2
minutes .. azaleas roots choke very esily
-even if azaleas bud esily form old wood is always better to leave fone
pair of leaves on a pruned branch
-never leave her soil dry out nor stay soggy
wiring is difficult use wrapped wire as they snap easily , it is
better shaping by cutting
-they love sweet and not calcar water
- when chlorosis sets in ( leaves get clearer and see veins give some
irontone or similar
- for repotting they are very slow growing can stay in the same pot for
4-5 or more years easily

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefocault)

Old 19-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.
Lauren

[IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the title as subject Theo Bonsai 15 02-06-2004 07:05 AM
[IBC] Fish emulsion (was Satsuki problem,) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 30-05-2004 07:04 AM
[IBC] Satsuki problem - bark splitting kevin bailey Bonsai 9 25-05-2004 09:07 PM
Bark splitting on Red Oak? MattH Texas 6 06-04-2004 09:31 PM
splitting bark on pecan trees - cause for concern? Dave-tx Texas 2 21-08-2003 02:12 PM