Old 19-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Bob Pastorio

Default [IBC] conventions

I've been on and off this list over the past few years with the press
of business and personal things. My wife just gave me a birthday
present that I think is very cool. An all-expense paid trip to St
Louis, MO to the convention in June.
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/conv04/conv04info.html

I'm a bit surprised that there's no mention of it on the list. Is
anyone going? Any thoughts on it? If you have opinions you'd like to
share but would rather not post your ideas here, I'd appreciate it if
you'd drop me an email.

Based on the schedule I've seen online, it looks pretty good. It's
been a bunch of years (decades) since I went to one. I don't even
recall what year it was that I went to Connecticut to a convention.
Met Yuji Yoshimura (whose book got me interested in bonsai all those
decades ago) there and a few others I'd read or read about. Learned a
great deal in the few days there, and got to see how others dealt with
the same questions I had.

Do we just not talk about conventions on list? Is there some sort of
unwritten limit that says we shouldn't? I realize that we have
subscribers all over the world, but I promise not to be upset if I
can't get to one far away. If not, are there other such events we
might like to mention to kindle interest?

Pastorio

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim Lewis

Bob Pastorio wrote:

I've been on and off this list over the past few years with the

press
of business and personal things. My wife just gave me a

birthday
present that I think is very cool. An all-expense paid trip to

St
Louis, MO to the convention in June.
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/conv04/conv04info.html

ENJOY!

I'm a bit surprised that there's no mention of it on the list.

Is
anyone going?

It's just a wild guess, but I suspect that Alan W. will be there.
;-)

Any thoughts on it? If you have opinions you'd like to
share but would rather not post your ideas here, I'd appreciate

it if
you'd drop me an email.

I've been to BCI meets and they do an excellent job. I'm off to
the Florida show two weekends from this one, and one a year is
about my limit.

snip

Do we just not talk about conventions on list? Is there some

sort of
unwritten limit that says we shouldn't? I realize that we have
subscribers all over the world, but I promise not to be upset

if I
can't get to one far away. If not, are there other such events

we
might like to mention to kindle interest?

We frequently discuss conventions. Beforehand it's "who is
going?" (like yours), and arranging for the Annual business
meeting of the Internet Bonsai Club (in the bar!!!); since I'm
not going this year, I don't know who's making the meeting
arrangements for the BCI Convention. ;-) Maybe Reiner, our
outgoing Treasurer is doing it (but he usually brings his own,
since he has complete disdain for USA beers). Occasionally, list
teetotalers get miffed with the beer discussions and demand to
"get back to bonsai."

Afterward, discussion usually moves to the gallery where members
post pics of the display trees and workshops.

Congrats on the B'day gift; it's a good one. Be nice to her.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Alan Walker

Bob: You have a wonderfully nice and discerning wife! I'm looking forward to
meeting you at BCI-ABS 2004. Please introduce yourself if you see me there.
Usually talk about who's going, etc. gets going a week or two before
the convention, about the time that the procrastinators are finally sending
in their registrations, having missed the "early bird" discounts.
The venue is great. St. Louis is an underappreciated (at least on
the coasts) jewel in the heartland. And our hosts there have a reputation
for putting on great conventions. Ask anyone from MABA.
By the way, the BCI site has a calendar of events which lists any
bonsai (or suiseki) event which sends its information to our webmaster, not
just BCI-related events.
Alan Walker