Old 19-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] I get to bring a tree to Ben Oki this weekend !!

I'm sure many of you have met the man and seen his demos. Any
tips on
what to bring ? Raw nursery stock or clean it up first? Tree

species
to bring ? Do's and Don'ts ?

Make it LARGE (3-4 feet with a husky trunk). An overgrown tree
(so he has lots of options and lots to cut!). At least 15 gal
Nursery plant -- & one that's been in the pot for a while.

Juniper, boxwood, Podocarpus.

It depends on how many trees he'll work on that night. He works
FAST!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Bill Watkins

You will really appreciate Ben Oki's talent after you have seen him
work. He will work on anything but he does a very good job on big stuff
as Jim Lewis said. I have seen him work on nursery stock that has a one
inch trunk and maybe one foot tall. I also have seen him work on
collected trees that have a six inch trunk and three or four feet tall.
He also likes Black Pines and Azaleas. He will trim on your tree for a
bit to get an idea of what it is to look like and then he will draw a
picture of it and date it and sign it. After that if the tree needs
wiring usually he will have you do the wiring. After that he will come
around and prune some more if needed and then shape the tree into a very
nice looking bonsai. He usually brings his own tools but it is a good
idea if you had some also. He is very fast and depending on how many are
in the workshop and the time limits you could get two to three trees
done. You can ask him questions about anything, styling, tree care, or
whatever. As Billy said it may be a good idea to trim off the obvious
branches but if in doubt leave them.

Have fun,
Bill Watkins from Bartlesville, OK.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

I get to bring a tree to Ben Oki this weekend !! Allen Bonsai 0 19-05-2004 08:07 PM
[IBC] ABS - Ben Oki Award Dennis Howke Bonsai 0 06-04-2004 09:19 PM
[IBC] ABS - Ben Oki Award Dennis Howke Bonsai 0 06-04-2004 09:19 PM
[IBC] Ben Oki Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 10-01-2004 07:32 PM
[IBC] ABS Ben Oki Award Andy Rutledge Bonsai 1 02-10-2003 04:07 AM