Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) - update

Last fall I found 6 ginkgo nuts at a park. I stored the nuts in the
refrigerator over the winter. I stored them in a plactic bag with a moist
paper towel. Perhaps a month ago I pulled the plastic bag out of the
'fridge with the intent on promptly planting the nuts. I set them aside,
and promptly forgot about them. three days ago I rediscovered them and one
had actually germinated and was pushing a tap-root. I planted that one, and
hope it does well. I will sand or scratch the other nutshells and will hope
more will follow suite and germinate. At this point I am happy to have even
one germinate.

Sam Crowell

Klamath Falls, Oregon

download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Edmund L. Castillo

Sam, et al: I have a gingko that was originally purchased as a rooted
seedling by a member of the Northern Virginia Bonsai Club in 1982. I bought
it from his estate a club auction after his death in 1991. Assuming it was
planted from seed in 1980 or 1981, the tree is now 23 or 24 years old.

In its early years, it was defoliated, and the owner thought killed, twice
by late frosts -- I think they were in April -- so I have been very careful
about taking it out of winter quarters prematurely. Other than that worry,
it has caused me no concern. Until about two years ago, it had a decidedly
literati shape, and it still has a fairly thin and somewhat sinuous trunk
and few branches. In recent years, it has begun to look a little more like
a gingko. It grows leaves and new shoots only at the ends of its branches
and does not bud back along existing branches. (I have a much older, more
traditional gingko that is sprouting new leaves all over, including the
trunk.) Thank heaven it has not flowered and produced stinky fruit.

I hope you are young, as you have a long and very interesting adventure
ahead of you with your seedling. You will grow fond of it.

Edmund L. Castillo in
Western Loudoun County, VA

Sam, et al: I have a gingko that was originally purchased as a rooted
seedling by a member of the Northern Virginia Bonsai Club in 1982.

I second your optimism, Edmund. I have a ginkgo that I started from seed in 1991, and it is now beginning to look a little like a bonsai. Ginkgos don't heal well after pruning, so cutting back a big bonsai is harder than pruning a small one as it grows.
I think ginkgos work pretty well from seed- especially since they are pleasing to look at even as seedlings.
---
Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2004, 01:07 AM
marty haber

Speaking of Ginkgos ...
I've been growing a very old one which is beautiful with one exception: it
had no low branches on one side. To solve the problem, I took a three
year-old sapling, removed half the roots, and planted it as close as
possible to the main trunk after slicing a small wedge between two surface
roots. My hope is that the sapling will merge with its older partner and
give me the needed lower branch. This is the third year since the operation
was done, and both trees are doing well; but I'm still waiting for the
merger.
Marty

Date: Wed May 26 15:51:12 EDT 2004
From: "Edmund L. Castillo"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ginkgo seeds found - update 2 sam crowell Bonsai 0 28-05-2004 10:04 PM
Monstro's Big Adventure Michael Lee Ponds 6 26-04-2004 07:02 AM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) sam crowell Bonsai 4 22-12-2003 05:13 PM
duckweed adventure John Rutz Ponds 7 13-07-2003 03:08 PM
Pond building adventure ~ jan Ponds 1 25-01-2003 07:55 PM