Old 25-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Kevin

Default [IBC] Ceramic Pots

I would like to buy an unglazed ceramic pot that isn't painted brown. Do they make such pots? I figure they do but all the ones I have bought are paited brown and "breath" no better than a glazed pot.

Thanks

Kevin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Alan Walker

Kevin: A pot which is "painted" brown is not an unglazed pot. A majority of
unglazed bonsai containers are traditionally a dark brown, but that is the
color of the clay which is used. This is not painted on the pot, but rather
it is mixed into the body of the clay. The container will be that color of
brown throughout the pot rather than just at the surface.
Unglazed pots come in a variety of colors and textures, however. Common clay
colors are the aforementioned dark brown, yellow, red, grey, and olive
green. Occasionally you will find a blue-green color clay. Texture can be
burnished extra smooth, smooth, matte, or rough.
Check the IBC Bonsai Pottery Gallery for a wide sampling of container
styles, colors, textures, sizes, designs, etc. Like most things, the more we
know about this, the more evident is our vast ignorance. ;-)
Alan Walker

Old 25-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Iris Cohen

I would like to buy an unglazed ceramic pot that isn't painted brown. Do
they make such pots? I figure they do but all the ones I have bought are
painted brown and "breathe" no better than a glazed pot.

You are partly right. Most of the so-called unglazed pots are actually
slip-glazed in a matte finish. If you don't like brown, keep looking. Sometimes
you can find them in tan or gray.
However, why do you want the pot to breathe when it is not supposed to? Good
bonsai pots, unglazed or not, are stoneware, which is fired high enough so the
clay fuses and is waterproof. An earthenware pot, which is porous, would not
last very long, especially for a hardy bonsai which is exposed to freezing.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-05-2004, 08:05 PM
dalecochoy

Alan said:
Kevin: A pot which is "painted" brown is not an unglazed pot. A majority of
unglazed bonsai containers are traditionally a dark brown, but that is the
color of the clay which is used. This is not painted on the pot, but rather
it is mixed into the body of the clay. The container will be that color of
brown throughout the pot rather than just at the surface.

.. Like most things, the more we
know about this, the more evident is our vast ignorance. ;-)
Alan Walker

All true,
including the last :)

You are partly right. Most of the so-called unglazed pots are actually
slip-glazed in a matte finish.

Mostly NOT TRUE, Almost ALL are colored unglazed clay. some lower quality
Chinese pots will sometimes be slip colored or have slip colored "panels"
which you might see designs carved through, or something like letters, etc.

However, why do you want the pot to breathe when it is not supposed to?

Good
bonsai pots, unglazed or not, are stoneware, which is fired high enough so

the
clay fuses and is waterproof. An earthenware pot, which is porous, would

not
last very long, especially for a hardy bonsai which is exposed to

freezing.

Iris, You've been reading! The term is "vitrfication" .
I've read this "no glaze inside or bottom so pot can "breath" thing three
times in bonsai magazines last year!

Perhaps you alone can rest the urban legend! :)

Regards,
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Kevin

Thanks for your reply, despite what others may say I can see that there is
some sort of a coating on most of the unglazed I have inspected. If you chip
it off it will often reveal a lighter colored clay. I thought they did this
because they used cheaper grades of clay for the pots I have bought. To
your question as to why I think they should breath. I thought it would help
keep free water from laying in the bottom of the pot. Maybe not a good idea
but I thought it sounded good.

Thanks

Kevin

You are partly right. Most of the so-called unglazed pots are actually
slip-glazed in a matte finish. If you don't like brown, keep looking.

Sometimes
you can find them in tan or gray.
However, why do you want the pot to breathe when it is not supposed to?

Good
bonsai pots, unglazed or not, are stoneware, which is fired high enough so

the
clay fuses and is waterproof. An earthenware pot, which is porous, would

not
last very long, especially for a hardy bonsai which is exposed to

freezing.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-05-2004, 04:02 AM
dalecochoy

Old 26-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Alan Walker

I don't know where your pots come from, but I have never noticed
such a coating on unglazed Tokoname bonsai pots.
Alan Walker

Old 26-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Bart Thomas

Old 27-05-2004, 03:09 AM

Actually, I am pretty sure I've seen some pots which were slip-glazed & some
which were self-colored.

Iris, You've been reading!* The term is "vitrification." I've read this* "no
glaze inside or bottom so pot can* "breathe" thing three times in bonsai
magazines last year!
Perhaps you alone can rest the* urban legend! :)

Along with the legends about irregular shaped gravel and humidity trays, no
doubt.
I have about three or so pots which are glazed on the inside. The bonsai do
not care in the least.
I didn't necessarily read this stuff recently. I majored in arts & crafts 55
years ago, including four years of ceramics. Khaimraj has a great deal of up
to date information on the subject.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Kevin

The pot I first noticed this on wasn't an expensive unglazed pot, I got it
from Dallas Bonsai If I remember right... anyway I would not have noticed
the coating except for a defect, a run in the "slip glaze" it was very hard
but I managed to chip it off, after looking closely I believe every brown
pot I have seen has this exact same coating. I imagine it is to water proof
the clay so it can survive freezes. Perhaps similar to the frost free
coating European terra cotta planters some times have on them.

Anyway it seems by consensus that a pot must be sealed to prevent cracking
during winter. Thanks for the info.

Kevin.