Old 28-05-2004, 10:04 PM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] ginkgo seeds found - update 2

While nothing is certain, I am only 42 and hope to have many more years to
enjoy my trees. Near the time when our first son was born, now four years
ago, several seed I had found germinated. As far as I am concerned, these
are his trees, I am just being their caretaker. If he decides he isn't into
bonsai, I will maintain them anyway, when I have passed from this world, he
can have them, or give them away, they are his with which to do as he
pleases.

I see today a second nut is cracking open. I am pretty pleased. I think my
original goal was to have a female bonsai gingko. I had read that only
males tend to be found in nurseries due to the smelly fruit the females
drop. With six nuts, to showing absolute viability, I hope I might get one
female at least out of the batch. I *do* realize I may have to wait 20
years or more to have the trees show their gender. In the meantime, I can
enjoy their unique look.

The one established gingko I have the previous owner "bent" back and forth,
so it follows a very strange zig-zag growth. Probably will never be a good
bonsai, but it is a great novelty tree. It won a first price at our country
fair last year.

Thanks to everyone for comments.

Sam Crowell

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++