Old 29-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Ben

Default Newbie - banyan

Hi all,

Last February i brought a small shoot from a Banyan tree from Calcutta
(Ficus benghalensis) home to Belgium.
Since it's such a nice tree to see (out in the open) i nurished it a few
months and many big leaves have come, and a bark is being formed (bottom
feels like a proper trunk).
Anyways, i was playing with the thought of making it into a bonsai. Don't
know really if this is advisable with this type of ficus but i assume so
'cos i think it's better of inside the house (climate is quite different,
chillier over here).
Some facts:
- I keep it in the kitchen where you get a sort of greenhouse effect (glass
all around, so lots of sun) thinking it woudl need a lot of sun.
- Current height: about 15cm. it's not already growing at a speed of 3
cm/month, each time a new leave opens a new shoot (leave) appears.
- I'm keeping it in a 20cm diameter shallow pot (looks more like a plate)
about 2 cm deep

I've found some bonsai info on the web, but not really answers to some of my
questions:
- when can you prune? can you start off as early as this?
- the leaves are becoming bigger and bigger. any hints as to keep them
small?
- how do you make it grow thicker instead of taller? put it out of the sun?
- food? what to give, what not to give? I've seen special bonsai food in
green centres (shops) when to start with that, if at all?
- any do-s and don't-s
- where to find good information
- aerial roots: can you induce those? how?
- am i doing things i shouldn't (spot, pot, food..)

Thanks a ton for any help,

Ben

Old 29-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Ben

confusing typo:
- Current height: about 15cm. it's NOW already growing

"Ben" schreef in bericht

Old 30-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Ben

Thanks guys, this certainly helped.

Some more things (while i haven't visited the library for some good
literature on the topic):
Let it grow free for now.

* Do i need to let it grow for another year or so, what signs would
indicate it's time to? i believe pruning can be done twice a year (before
and after winter, right?).
* branches.. still to early, but i was wondering when branches normally
appear.. for all i know it can become a tall tree before any branches appear
(let alone growing aerial roots) any way to help forming branches?

i'll be transferring it into a bigger pot later on.
regards,
Ben

Old 05-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Ng

check
"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

Banyan Fig burnt foliage Urgent ! Mark Mantis Bonsai 1 06-12-2004 06:54 PM
[IBC] Newbie - banyan Alan Walker Bonsai 9 10-06-2004 08:08 PM
[IBC] Banyan trees Carl Rosner Bonsai 1 30-05-2004 04:04 PM
[IBC] Banyan style Ficus Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 4 06-09-2003 10:12 PM
Banyan fig (Ficus microcarpa retusa) David Stern Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 08:01 AM