Old 29-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Newbie - banyan

Ben: It may seem to you that your kitchen is like a greenhouse with lots of
sunlight, but I wager that if you measure the light, you will find that it
has considerably less light than outdoors or even a greenhouse. And that is
the primary key to the large leaves you are observing. Plants need to
photosynthesize, and that requires light. If light levels are low, then
plants adapt by making larger leaves to be able to capture more light. That
is fine for the plant, but not good for us who want leaves to be smaller to
enhance that illusion we call bonsai.
You also mentioned the desire to encourage the growth of aerial
roots. This will require high humidity, the likes of which you will not be
able to sustain indoors. You can keep humidity higher by putting wet
sphagnum moss around the areas you wish for roots to appear.
So, while your banyan fig will certainly grow indoors, it will not
perform to bonsai standards indoors. Try to find a nice outdoor place for
it, and bring it indoors only to protect against frost.
Alan Walker

Old 29-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Ben wrote:

I've found some bonsai info on the web, but not really answers to some of my
questions:
- when can you prune? can you start off as early as this?

Let it grow free for now.

- the leaves are becoming bigger and bigger. any hints as to keep them
small?
- how do you make it grow thicker instead of taller? put it out of the sun?

A big pot (quite shallow and wide) and sun will help. A seedling in a
bonsai pot will stay a seedling in a bonsai pot. You need to let it
grow.

- food? what to give, what not to give? I've seen special bonsai food in
green centres (shops) when to start with that, if at all?

Often just an expensive version of regular houseplant fertilizer. Start
now and just follow the label.

- any do-s and don't-s

Use a well draining soil mix not just regular potting soil. Let the soil
dry up between waterings (not bone dry) and wather thoroughly when watering.

- where to find good information

Look for a local bonsaiclub. Look for books at the library in a shop or
on the web.

And last, Iīm not familiar with this species so I canīt even say if itīs
good for bonsai. Iīll leave that to someone else.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Ben

Thanks guys, this certainly helped.

Some more things (while i haven't visited the library for some good
literature on the topic):
Let it grow free for now.

= Do i need to let it grow for another year or so, what signs would
indicate it's time?

"Henrik Gistvall" schreef in bericht
Ben wrote:

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Ben

Thanks guys, this certainly helped.

Some more things (while i haven't visited the library for some good
literature on the topic):
Let it grow free for now.

* Do i need to let it grow for another year or so, what signs would
indicate it's time to? i believe pruning can be done twice a year (before
and after winter, right?).
* branches.. still to early, but i was wondering when branches normally
appear.. for all i know it can become a tall tree before any branches appear
(let alone growing aerial roots) any way to help forming branches?

i'll be transferring it into a bigger pot later on.
regards,
Ben

Old 30-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Ben

sorry for the multiple replying here.. something went wrong with my software
and i thot the posts didn't go thru.

"Ben" schreef in bericht

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 31-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Henrik Gistvall

If you let it grow to approx 50 cm and then pinch of the leader,
branches will start to grow. Once again you let the tree grow free,
especially the lower branches. Keep them as sacrifice branches that help
to increase the girth and taper of the trunk. These will be removed
later on when you are starting to get satisfied with the thickness of
the trunk, but before the sacrifice branches are so thick they will
leave an ugly scare after removal.

Old 31-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Iris Cohen

One problem, at least with some trees, is that if you try to grow branches
before the trunk is thick enough, the branches grow too thick.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Ben

thanks to both of you :-)
"Iris Cohen" schreef in bericht
One problem, at least with some trees, is that if you try to grow branches
before the trunk is thick enough, the branches grow too thick.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Banyan Fig burnt foliage Urgent ! Mark Mantis Bonsai 1 06-12-2004 06:54 PM
Newbie - banyan Ben Bonsai 3 05-06-2004 04:10 PM
[IBC] Banyan trees Carl Rosner Bonsai 1 30-05-2004 04:04 PM
[IBC] Banyan style Ficus Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 4 06-09-2003 10:12 PM
Banyan fig (Ficus microcarpa retusa) David Stern Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 08:01 AM