Old 14-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Dan Voicu

Default [IBC] Bonsai from seeds

Hello, I was wondering how does one go about keeping the size of a
seedling down after it starts to grow. If I leave it..I'm sure it will
grow into its natural shape, a full sized tree. Do I just let it grow and
then prune the roots in early spring or late winter? Also, if I cut any
branches, will the trunk make new ones? Can I do something to encourage it
to make more branches and twigs? Any help would be appreciated.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 6/13/2004 6:49:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Hello, I was wondering how does one go about keeping the size of a
seedling down after it starts to grow. If I leave it..I'm sure it will
grow into its natural shape, a full sized tree. Do I just let it grow and
then prune the roots in early spring or late winter? Also, if I cut any
branches, will the trunk make new ones? Can I do something to encourage it
to make more branches and twigs? Any help would be appreciated.

The answer to most specific Bonsai questions usually depends upon the
species of plant in question. The growth of a seedling can frequently be
controlled with light, fertilizer and water. Usually the more light a plant gets
the more compact it will be. Don't over fertilize or overwater. Keeping the
plant in a small, shallow container will also slow growth.
BUT, a seedling grown this way will take 20 years or more to be a nice
Bonsai.
If you must start with seed, plant the seedling in the ground as soon
as it is large enough, let it get big and chop it back. This will result in a
Bonsai in 10 years.
Most of us buy plants others have spent time growing, or dig plants up
from the ground. A lot of Bonsai are started as cuttings which can give you
a head start.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislek of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 10:03 AM
kevin bailey

Billy is spot on.

I would add that the tiniest of Bonsai are grown in a micro pot from
seed. In these a single leaf can represent a whole branch. They are fun
but difficult to keep alive for any great length of time.

Growing from seed is one of those things that can add a whole new
dimension to a bonsai passion but it is not the best way to get started.
That said, if I hadn't sown those seeds when I got going, I wouldn't
have many of the unusual species as ten to fifteen year old,
ground-grown stock, ready for lifting and styling in coming springs.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Billy wrote

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 08:07 PM
martyhab

These are excellent questions from a beginner. Combined, they represent an
inquiry into the art of miniaturization, which is at the heart of bonsai
culture.
The first concept to absorb is the balancing of roots and superstructure.
If the roots are not constrained, they will force unwanted top growth; and
if the branches, which support the foliage, are not properly pruned, they
will force unwanted root growth.
Since the tree you describe is very young, you have the opportunity to train
it without much difficulty. The main consideration is the need for
patience. You say that your tree has very little branching and you want to
know how to encourage it. This is the easiest part of your work. Young
trees tend to push straight up in the attempt to gain the maximum sunlight.
Along the trunk, you should find lots of buds and small leaves. In your
mind's eye, determine how you would like the branches to be situated on the
trunk in order to develop a triangular shape. You might sit down and draw a
picture. Then select a bud about 1/3 up the trunk from which you want to
create your lowest branch. Then look for a bud on the opposite side of the
trunk and a bit higher than the first. Now remove all buds below the second
branch except for the two selected ones. Now look for a bud to the rear of
the trunk and higher than #2 branch. Again, remove any buds between the
rear bud and #2. Next, repeat the 1,2,3 procedure, as you go up the trunk,
removing unwanted buds as you go.
Now you may not find buds exactly where you want them. Leave an imaginary
space for them and go on to the next bud selection as though the missing bud
were already there.
If your response is that there are NO buds showing, your job is easy ...
just wait until they DO appear. Patience, my friend, patience.
Marty

Hello, I was wondering how does one go about keeping the size of a
seedling down after it starts to grow. If I leave it..I'm sure it will
grow into its natural shape, a full sized tree. Do I just let it grow and
then prune the roots in early spring or late winter? Also, if I cut any
branches, will the trunk make new ones? Can I do something to encourage it
to make more branches and twigs? Any help would be appreciated.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered User

Location: BIRMINGHAM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin bailey
Billy is spot on.

Hi
I agree with the facts already stated, yet I know there are now lots of people who enjoy growing bonsai from seeds, because they enjoy growing a bonsai specimen to their own shape. The seed is best in a small pot, when the seedling in large enough to handle transfer to a bonsai pot (if you haven't already sown it straight into one). Bonsai Pots are shallow and do not leave a lot of room for the roots. As the Seedling grows, they have to be trimmed both roots and branches certain times of the year, the branches have to be trained to grow into the shape you require which involves wire to keep them in position. Though some beginners do not always wire their first few Bonsai's. If you want to grow a Bonsai from Seed try something like Chinese Elm, they are good to experiement with as they withstand quite a bit of pruning etc.
Regards
Chris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Location: BIRMINGHAM

Quote:
Originally posted by SEEDSENSE
If you are thinking of growing Bonsai from seeds, it is a good idea to get a book out of the Library, it will give you list of when to prune each species and tell you others that are easy to start with
Old 14-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: BIRMINGHAM

Hi
As soon as the seedling is large enough to handle you can transplant it into a bonsai pot, this will help to keep the plant small.
The pruning of roots and the time of year to prune can vary depending on the species you are growing, same with the pruning of the branches.
There are some good books on Bonsai available at the library, which goes into detail about the species, when to prune etc.
It is certainly worth you having a read of the types of bonsai you can grow, and how robust they are.
It is indeed a very rewarding hobby, especially watching it grow into a bonsai, to the shape you created, you just need time and patients.
If you go onto my website, there is a Bonsai/Tree Category, where you will find pictures and a description of them which is worth a browse
SEEDSENSE
Old 14-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: BIRMINGHAM