Old 22-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Copper Wire

You can buy bare copper wire at places like Home
Depot
and detemper it yourself. Copper does not need to
be
heated too high in temp to achieve this. My son the
metal worker says to put it on the driveway and heat
with a torch until it starts getting red. You can
let
it cool or you can quench. The jeweler friend says
quench the son says not necessary. (quencing is
quick
cooling in water. I thnk it would excite the wire
too
much, excited copper wire gets hard quickly (did I
really say THAT?))

I have used the smaller gauge wires straight from
the
hardware store even though I have been told it is
impossible to do. (I didn't know any better) I find
the wire work hardens as I apply it to the tree.
Not
easy to change once it is on.

I still prefer the aluminum on trees that one has to
wire many times, like maples and elms. On stubborn
trees like atlas cedar, I have used the copper.

Kitsune Miko

--- James Harris wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for copper wire
that I can order
on-line. All of my local bosai suppliers only

carry
the annodized
aluminum.

Thanks,
Jim H.
Zone 6, S.E. Michigan

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"I was born with a birth defect-- no herd instinct."
Brenda Ueland

=====

Old 23-06-2004, 05:06 PM
dalecochoy

I certainly recommend getting your annealed copper wire from Julian Adams.
Excellent stuff at great prices that make it not worth doing yourself, but,
if you must.....
see below

You can buy bare copper wire at places like Home
Depot
and detemper it yourself. Copper does not need to
be
heated too high in temp to achieve this. My son the
metal worker says to put it on the driveway and heat
with a torch until it starts getting red.

No, don't do this. It takes forever and you can't get it even. Some places
annealed, some not and some melted!
Do it in your barbecue, at night, so you can see the color as it heats.

You can
let
it cool or you can quench. The jeweler friend says
quench the son says not necessary.

When I did my own I always quenched it. Had nothing to do with hardening,
tempering, etc, but it cleans the wire instantly when it hits the water so
you don't get black crud all over you when handling. Use tongs to drop in a
bucket and a quick "phsst!" and the dirt is gone!

(quencing is
quick
cooling in water. I thnk it would excite the wire
too
much, excited copper wire gets hard quickly (did I
really say THAT?))

No, this does not effect copper wire. It is not like heating and quenching
steel for tempering. It won't effect it, but it will be clean and still
annealed.

I find
the wire work hardens as I apply it to the tree.
Not
easy to change once it is on.

That is the point of using it!

Regards,
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Kitsune Miko

Caution when using the charcoal barbeque method below:
You MUST watch it as the heat can become too high. I
know with the price of annealed wire out here that I
get 3 times as much if I buy the electrical grade
instead of the bonsai grade.

Kitsune Miko

[IBC] Copper Wire Source Carol Bonsai 4 10-03-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] Copper Wire James Harris Bonsai 2 23-06-2004 12:03 AM
[IBC] Annealed Copper Wire Alan Zucker Bonsai 24 11-02-2004 01:31 AM
[IBC] Copper wire for bonsai styling? Bart Thomas Bonsai 8 18-05-2003 01:44 PM
[IBC] Copper wire Mike Ryan Bonsai 2 04-05-2003 08:56 AM